How to fix lot specifications for stock sales?

Options
ericberdahl
ericberdahl Member ✭✭
edited May 2022 in Investing (Mac)
I am very happy that Quicken for Mac once again allows me to specify the lots from which investment sales are made. I would like to record this information in Quicken, but I can't figure out how to do it. My problem is that Quicken is "being my friend" far too much. That is, Quicken has already recorded lots in/out for all my historical sales. So, when I try to update a sale to use the correct lots, the correct lots are not available -- I suspect because Quicken has "helpfully" already pre-assigned the lot to a different transaction.
Is there a way to get Quicken to forget all the assignments for a given account so I can go in an enter them correctly? Alternatively, is there a way to do a mass update so I can get up to date?
Ironically, these were all absolutely correct in my old Quicken for Mac, before the New Quicken for Mac was created (without lots for investment sales), wherein that data was lost in the original file conversion. Grrr.
Tagged:

Comments

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello @ericberdahl

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue, although I apologize that you haven't received a response.

If you navigate to the investment account on the left-hand side of the screen, go to the "Transaction" view of the account, then navigate to "Settings."

Are the options shown below, what you are needing?

Please let me know!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • ericberdahl
    ericberdahl Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hi Tyka,
    Thanks for the response. I am familiar with those settings, but they don't really do what I need. Those settings appear to adjust the default lots for stocks when they are sold.
    In my case, I'm dealing with an investment account that is ~20 years old. I used to maintain it in the old Quicken for Mac, which allowed me to track lots for each sale. Then I upgraded to the new Quicken for Mac, which did not allow investment accounts to track lots and that data was lots. Then, Quicken for Mac finally allowed sales to track lots and Quicken used the defaults to select lots for all the transactions which had already been entered.
    Unfortunately, none of the defaults would be accurate because each sale was what Quicken now calls a "Custom" allocation. Unfortunately, it is very very difficult to correct the data because the lots from which I want to allocate are already allocated to other sales -- and if I went through them all, I could probably figure out which one is trampling. But that's the problem: there are a lot of transactions and they're all stepping on each other.
    What's worse than not being able to update the historical data is that the new sales I enter cannot track lots because, like the earlier transactions, their source lots are already allocated.
    What I was hoping for was a method of doing some kind of mass re-allocation so I can correct the data globally once and for all. But that seems to be elusive.
    Eric
  • qmac_scott
    qmac_scott Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I am having this same problem. Is there any way to get this fixed? I can't manually reallocate lots because they are assigned to another transaction!
This discussion has been closed.