How can you assign a Category to a Split Total

Options
I am trying to set up a report to track my Soc Soc benefits, my deposits.

I enter the Gross amount on a Split transaction as a Gross category, then subtract out the Part B category amount and the Part D category amount (these 3 categories used in a report) - and the resulting total is the amount Deposited in my account (the Split transaction Total) - but I cannot figure out how to get a Deposited Category assigned to this Split Total.

I can/did insert in the Split transaction a positive deposited amount (with a Deposited category) followed by a negative deposited amount to cancel the positive out - and that works, but was hoping there was a better way.

ron in kansas

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Are you trying to track something like "Net Soc Sec received"?
    Sorry, but you can't do that with categories if you're also tracking Gross minus individual deductions.
    If you want a report for "How much did I receive from Soc Sec, net?" try a Transaction Report, filtered to show only the "Soc Sec" Payee Name.
    Or try under Reports / Easy Answer / How much did I pay to ... again selecting your Soc Sec payee name. (OK, the report says "how much I pay to", but it also works for Income payees.)
This discussion has been closed.