Starting a New File or Run Year-End Copy?

Options
George P
George P Member ✭✭✭
I have been using Quicken since 1999. I run Year-End Copy (YEC) every few years, but haven't recently. My transactions go back as far as 2008 in my current file. I am wondering if I should start from scratch and build a new file starting at 1/1/20 or should I run YEC for years 2008 through 2015 and keep five years of data. Thoughts?

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you start over, when you want to locate information prior to 1/1/20, you'll need to access another data file.  If you run the YEC as described, when you want to locate information prior to 1/1/16, you'll need to access another data file.  Why are you considering segmenting your data?

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Neither.  Just continue on.  We don't recommend breaking up your data file or archiving years.  But it's your choice.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• George P
    George P Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I was told before there could be issues with file sizes. Is that no longer a problem?

To clarify, my archive is up to 2013. The transactions that date back to 2008 are transfers that the EYC preserved.
  • George P
    George P Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    @volvogirl Who is "we"?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    George P said:
    I was told before there could be issues with file sizes. Is that no longer a problem?

To clarify, my archive is up to 2013. The transactions that date back to 2008 are transfers that the EYC preserved.
    I'm not aware of any issues associate with large data files other than the additional disk space held by the backups and the minor performance degradation of the File > Backup and Restore and File > File Operations, and searches over all transactions.

My data file is about 270 MB with over 50K transactions dating back to 1997.  
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We are most of the SuperUsers posting here.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

This discussion has been closed.