Why has investment info changed since it was entered?

All my investment info is hosed up. The number of shares for numerous investments has changed since it was last entered. In turn, the value of my holdings has changed. Could it be because:
-- I got a new PC with Win-10 (I used to have Win-7).
-- Do I have too much data? QDATA.QDF > 38,000 KB. What are the limitations on the amount data?
-- Another data issue – My Investment transaction history dates back to 1/1996 (24 years ago). I just began using Quicken for my 25-th year. Are there limitations on the age of my data?
-- Yet another data issue – I began using Quicken to track checking in 1993. No issues (yet) but it is 27 years ago. Does the age of this data matter?
-- Performance (i.e., responsiveness) has been great (sub second).

Can Quicken continue to accommodate my new environment? Do I have to give up on Quicken after all of these years?
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Jardon2
    Jardon2 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi Frankx
    Thanks for getting back to me and showing an interest in helping me. I appreciate your insights into the veracity of Quicken. Experience from the past leads me to test the boundaries of a system’s effectiveness. I have begun been testing other potential explanations for Quicken’s behavior.

First, let me answer your questions:

1) I am using Quicken - Premier (Windows); Version R24.11; Build 27.1.24.11

2) I believe the problems started in July, 2019, not with my transition to the new PC. See below for another possible explanation.

3) I have lots of backups both to a local external hard drive and to Carbonite in the cloud. Unfortunately, my old local backups have rolled off their retention period. I still have my old PC with the old Quicken files with transactions dating back to 6/30/2019.

Another Thought. I always download quotes and updates from Quicken at the end of each month. In the past, there were Quicken transactions that usually brought the Cash Balance of each account down to $0 (sometimes I had to wait until the next month until late-month-end transactions get posted). Now, the Cash Balance keeps growing and does not reach $0 unless I enter a manufactured “Balance Adjustment” transaction to force the Cash Balance to $0. Has Quicken changed the way it handles cash balances and money market holdings?
  • Jardon2
    Jardon2 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi Jim,

Thanks for responding. You lend a new perspective to my question.

I did an analysis of a sample of transactions.
    -- The "Show hidden transactions" option was already checked.

-- All “Bought” transactions that I examined had a corresponding decrease in the cash balance.

-- Conversely, all “Sold” transactions had a corresponding increase in the cash balance.

Here are my conclusions:
    -- Quicken appears to be working as designed. The fault is elsewhere, namely in the reporting of my brokerage accounts that I use to update Quicken. I have been using this institution for over 25 years and they apparently have changed their accounting and reporting practices. Thanks for your help in getting Quicken “off the hook” and renewing my faith in Quicken.

Hugh

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Jardon2.

A few questions:

1) Which Quicken program are you using, and what is its version and build (to find this - in the Quicken program click on Help > About Quicken)?

2) Did the problems with your data start right after you transitioned to your new PC?

3) Do you have a recent backup?

On your questions:

a) Quicken is compatible with Windows 10
    b) Your file size is not too large ( mine is 187 MB and works fine).
    c) To the best of my knowledge, the age of the data does not matter.
    d) Quicken is compatible with your new environment and you won't have to give it up.  We just need to figure what went wrong with your data.

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Jardon2
    Jardon2 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi Frankx
    Thanks for getting back to me and showing an interest in helping me. I appreciate your insights into the veracity of Quicken. Experience from the past leads me to test the boundaries of a system’s effectiveness. I have begun been testing other potential explanations for Quicken’s behavior.

First, let me answer your questions:

1) I am using Quicken - Premier (Windows); Version R24.11; Build 27.1.24.11

2) I believe the problems started in July, 2019, not with my transition to the new PC. See below for another possible explanation.

3) I have lots of backups both to a local external hard drive and to Carbonite in the cloud. Unfortunately, my old local backups have rolled off their retention period. I still have my old PC with the old Quicken files with transactions dating back to 6/30/2019.

Another Thought. I always download quotes and updates from Quicken at the end of each month. In the past, there were Quicken transactions that usually brought the Cash Balance of each account down to $0 (sometimes I had to wait until the next month until late-month-end transactions get posted). Now, the Cash Balance keeps growing and does not reach $0 unless I enter a manufactured “Balance Adjustment” transaction to force the Cash Balance to $0. Has Quicken changed the way it handles cash balances and money market holdings?
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are there
    a) Bought transactions in the account that are not reducing the cash balance,
    b) Added transactions that increase the balances, or
    c) do the share balances increase with no visible transactions?

If a) or c), you may have hidden Placeholders in the account. Go to Edit > Preferences > Investment transactions and make sure "Show hidden transactions" is checked and let us know for further instructions.

If b), you will need to edit the transactions to make them Bought. 

QWin Premier subscription
  • Jardon2
    Jardon2 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi Jim,

Thanks for responding. You lend a new perspective to my question.

I did an analysis of a sample of transactions.
    -- The "Show hidden transactions" option was already checked.

-- All “Bought” transactions that I examined had a corresponding decrease in the cash balance.

-- Conversely, all “Sold” transactions had a corresponding increase in the cash balance.

Here are my conclusions:
    -- Quicken appears to be working as designed. The fault is elsewhere, namely in the reporting of my brokerage accounts that I use to update Quicken. I have been using this institution for over 25 years and they apparently have changed their accounting and reporting practices. Thanks for your help in getting Quicken “off the hook” and renewing my faith in Quicken.

Hugh
This discussion has been closed.