I am trying to enter a new security in the Security list

I have tried entering the security several times but it does not appear in the Security List. Can anyone help please?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Graham106
    Graham106 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thank you for responding.
    Jim, I am using Quicken 2016 Home and Business.
    The security list already includes many securities and has always worked well.
    q_lurker You have identified the problem. The security that I was trying to post today has the same ticker code as a November 2017 security! Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What version of Quicken are you running? Starter Edition does not support investments, and may restrict changes to your security list.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both the name and the ticker of the new security must be unique with respect to existing securities in the file.  Check for hidden securities as well.

I think you get a message if the name is not unique but not if the ticker is the issue.  (IIRC).
  • Graham106
    Graham106 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thank you for responding.
    Jim, I am using Quicken 2016 Home and Business.
    The security list already includes many securities and has always worked well.
    q_lurker You have identified the problem. The security that I was trying to post today has the same ticker code as a November 2017 security! Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tickers do get re-used in some cases.  When I become aware of a company ceasing trading and abandoning its ticker, I ofter try to reticker that by appending (old) to the prior version.  For example, the old AT&T carries the 'T(old)' ticker since the new AT&T took over the 'T' ticker.  Similarly, Blockbuster Video is 'BV(old)' even though there is I have no replacement in my database (no Brightview Holdings).  
This discussion has been closed.