Is there a way to import stock information into a new investment account in Quicken.

Using the latest version of Quicken 2019. I have 2 accounts at Chase investments that I would like to set up in Quicken but entering all the cost, purchase dates etc is a big job because these are managed accounts with 100+ stocks. I tested this on a backup copy and got tons of place markers. Plus some stocks had partial sale which complicates the problem even more
Tagged:

Comments

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a question you should ask Chase. Ask them whether they can provide historical data in a form Quicken can import.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• hoffmtj
    hoffmtj Member ✭✭
    Yes they do provide historical information, but only in CSV or Excel. If it provided a specific download for Quicken I wouldn't be asking the question. You can download the current information but what you get is a bunch of placeholder entries which are difficult to resolve if some of the original purchases of a stock where sold. Basically you have to enter each stock manually even though I have all the information in a nice neat Excel spreed sheet.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @hoffmtj,
    Unfortunately - as you know - Quicken does not allow import from CSV or Excel, however there is currently a poll asking for votes to have Quicken leadership allow these imports.  You,and anyone else in this Community can go to the following link to vote - https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867371/import-transactions-from-csv-file-or-spreadsheet 

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I empathize with your pain but don't think there is much you can do.  I don't recall if the OFX specs permit the acquisition data (data and basis) to be transferred from the FI to the program, but I have never heard of an FI providing that information.  As such I think to reach your objective, you are going to need to manually enter the data. 

There are some packages that will convert csv file information to a QIF format that con be imported, but I suspect that preparation might be as arduous as the Quicken entries.  

I would give serious consideration to one (and occasionally more) entry per security - one Add Share for the total holding with the aggregate basis for those shares and the most-recent acquisition date.  For acquisitions within the last year, you might want more entries to get the ST-to-LT switchovers correct.    

While the idea (poll) @Frankx cited to you is in the Mac section of ideas for this site, I think it would be understood as desirable to Win users also.  Unfortunately, I know Intuit (Quicken) worked diligently with the FIs to develop the OFX specs to address a multitude of situations related to data processing and transfer.  That work did not go the direction of csv files and I don't see that decision changing in the near future.  I suspect they see csv files as too simple for the depth of the needs.  But I have no inside information on any such developments.    
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can try some 3rd party converters. Let us know if you succeed.
    https://www.propersoft.net/conversion-expert?from=csv&to=quicken-pc

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• hoffmtj
    hoffmtj Member ✭✭
    Lurker, I think you may be right. I looked at the converters and not sure it will be any better. What I find annoying is my financial planner has a tool he provides his clients to track investments that does what I want to do in quicken on his website, so I know it can be done. Guess I will just continue using that tool to track these two accounts.

If quicken would clean up the placeholder process that would help. Even better, if they would allow excel entries to reconcile placeholders it would be a step in the right direction.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Placeholders are Quicken's attempt to make its share balances match those downloaded from your FI. If you don't care about the history of this account, you should be able to go forward from where you are. Quicken's cost basis info will be incorrect unless you resolve the Placeholders.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    hoffmtj said:
    Lurker, I think you may be right. I looked at the converters and not sure it will be any better. What I find annoying is my financial planner has a tool he provides his clients to track investments that does what I want to do in quicken on his website, so I know it can be done. Guess I will just continue using that tool to track these two accounts.

If quicken would clean up the placeholder process that would help. Even better, if they would allow excel entries to reconcile placeholders it would be a step in the right direction.
    Look at it this way -- you have 100+ Add Shares transactions to enter.  I'd be working from the Enter Transactions form.  You already have the securities identified in Quicken.  Transaction date stays the same (1/1/2020? or whenever you choose).  You pick the security (type a few characters), enter the shares, total cost, and Acquisition date.  Click Next.  Rinse and repeat.  You might be able to do some copy and paste with that form, but I have had intermittent satisfaction with that process.  I'd be inclined to have Quicken on the upper half of the screen and Excel (or the brokerage site?) on the lower part of the screen.  You might come away surprised at how quick it does get completed, though you might be a little number crazy at the same time.
  • hoffmtj
    hoffmtj Member ✭✭
    Jim, I do care about history because of tax implications and profit/loss reporting.

Lurker, there are 715 different purchases of the stocks in one account and over a 1000 in the other account. To clear the place holder entries you do not get the chance to enter multiple purchases of the same stock you have to start over at the placeholder screen. I think what you are suggesting is I enter them before activating the download thus not going the placeholder route. Correct?

I am just suggesting that it would be nice if Quicken would provide a way to reconcile placeholder entries via a spreadsheet of CSV.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I was suggesting consolidating real world multiple LT lots into a single lot with the aggregate cost basis of those lots. You lose precision or accuracy on subsequent partial holding sales, but only you can assess that significance.

i was seeing a process of accepting the initial download establishing the starting position however far back - 90 days, 6 months, 18 months - but not accepting or deleting any placeholders. You would then Add Shares to fill in the missing quantities. (My policy is to never have placeholders in my file.). 

If you need 1500-2000 transactions a csv-to-qif is the way to go. See http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

You can wish all you want for Quicken to provide a tool, but that won’t happen in any time frame that helps you. As I see it, if Quicken provides that sort of tool, they have to address all sorts of contingencies, what-ifs.  For a third party product, the onus is on the user to be sure about the file being imported. 
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Were the holdings and tax lots correct in Quicken before you merged the accounts? If so, you should be able to move the holdings in Quicken to the merged account without getting placeholders.

Post back for instructions if this is the case.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jim,

The accounts were never in Quicken.

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @hoffmtj,

Based on the number of transactions, I think the only practical solution is to try one of the third-party converters.  I haven't used one, and since nobody else has jumped in here on the discussion, I guess we haven't given you much help.

Good luck - and please let us know how you made out, what product you used, etc. Sorry we couldn't provide a better answer. 

• hoffmtj
    hoffmtj Member ✭✭
    Lurker, Quicken can control the format of the spreadsheet or CSV and they control the placeholder process so it would not be a big deal for them to do this. They specify the format of the import file and it is the responsibility of the user to put the import file in the correct format. As a retired IT guy I know this is not a big undertaking since they can control the input format.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @hoffmtj:  I am simply trying to identify for you what is.  For what you 'want to be', you need to start an idea post in the Ideas for Windows / Investment area of this site in order to develop any traction with the developers.

But I suggest you consider:  This is not really a new idea.  Quicken has been involved with importing transactions for well over 20 years.  They developed QIF formats on their own, but were unable to standardize that.  They (Intuit at the time) coordinated diligently with financial institutions, Microsoft and others to develop OFX specifications that are nominally complete, safe, and reliable -- and still there are problems.  I am of the camp that, if csv files were a broad-based solution, Quicken would have gone that way.  They have not.  They are not dummies.  They have an interest in making things as easy as possible for their users.  They know better than you and me what they have to deal with.  

You suggest "they can control the format".  I don't think so.  Lots of FIs produce lots of csv files in lots of possibly ever-changing formats.  Quicken's userbase includes a lot of not 'tech savy" users who would immediately want XYZ's csv to be imported with no interaction from that user.  It becomes a no-win process which is where the OFX standards came from in the beginning.

Yours is a more focused (not broad-based) issue.  You need a bunch of Add Shares transactions generated - in defined accounts - for defined securities - and likely a few other focal points.  I don't see Quicken interested in a such a closely focused routine, but that is just me.  I don't speak for them.  I don't influence them. 

Just trying to keep your expectations in check.  Not much else I can offer on this, so short of any other followup questions, I'll sign off of this discussion.  Good Luck.
  • hoffmtj
    hoffmtj Member ✭✭
    Lurker, I understand and will look into the Windows suggestion. To clarify my idea is Quicken dictates the format of the input file and it is up to the user not the FI to put it in that format. Very easy to do with excel. Since someone indicated that they would not be likely to allow a blanket feature because it might affect a revenue stream from the FI's; I restricted my idea to reconciling placeholder entries. Thanks for all the ideas.
This discussion has been closed.