Backup isn't working for me

A few weeks ago I accidentally deleted my Quicken files. I was able to recover them and things are working fine- except for Backup. I've tried to set it up and haven't had success. Error messages are "Quicken can't open your data file" or "Unable to open source file" or "Quicken cannot open the data file because it is in use by some other application. Please close that application and try again." or "Unable to re-load current file after copy."

I would imagine this is a relatively easy fix, but I am nervous to mess around any more since I haven't had a successful backup in 2 weeks. Thanks for your help. John

Comments

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file?  Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup? What is the path to the backup folder?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • batw2012
    batw2012 Member
    After accidentally deleting all of my data, I tried to switch the path to Dropbox:
    C:\Users\John\Dropbox\Personal documents\Money stuff\Quicken\Quicken Backup Files\Quicken Data-2020-01-27.QDF-backup

That didn't work, so I changed it to where they used to be stored:
    G:\John\Quicken\Quicken Data-2020-01-27.QDF-backup

And that didn't work either. I figure I need to reset this path somehow, but not sure how to do that.

Thanks a bunch for your help. John
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try taking that space out of your file name (Quicken Data). 
    Q frequently has problems with them.
    PREFERABLY, your Q data file names should follow the old 8.3 format, I.E., BATW2012.qdf (capitalization not important), but notice that BATW2012 is 8 characters.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• batw2012
    batw2012 Member
    I removed the space from the file name, now QuickenData. It worked once (yesterday) and I was excited to finally have the problem solved. Woo hoo! I tried again today and the backup didn't work. Error messages are "Quicken can't open your data file" or "Unable to open source file" or "Quicken cannot open the data file because it is in use by some other application. Please close that application and try again." The path was C:\Users\John\Dropbox\Personal documents\Money stuff\Quicken\Quicken Backup Files\QuickenData-2020-01-30.QDF-backup. Any ideas? Thanks, John
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @batw2012 , (John),

You can't do Manual Backups to Dropbox, but can't store the  Data File in a Drop Box Folder. You will always get error messages. After creating a Manual Backup file, simply drag it to your Quicken Backup Folder.

And there is a limit to the Filename size including the path, that can't be more than 260 Characters in length.

Why not simply rename your Quicken Data File name to "John 2020 for example and you should be able to find the file, easily?

I, for one, don't store my data online. I use Network-Attached Storage Unit and mapped its Hard Drive to the operating system.

Z:\Quicken Backup\thecreator 2020-2020-01-30.QDF-backup

Working file is located at: I:\My Documents\Quicken 2020 Data\thecreator 2020

Sometimes if I get an error message that the location does not exist, so I simple Browse to the same location and it works fine.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is your Quicken data file stored in a Dropbox folder?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
This discussion has been closed.