How do I fix a locked up backup in Quicken 2001?

I know Quicken 2001 Basic is no longer being supported and is far outdated. However, it still serves my purpose. That said, everything works fine except for when I try to backup the file. The backup hangs up (never starts) after I tell it to backup to the C drive or to an USB thumb drive and click ok. I have to use the Task Manager to abort it. It was working fine until I accidentally uninstalled it. I have reinstalled the software and have restored the data file from a previous backup. I have Windows 8.1, Quicken 2001 Release R 1. Everything is up-to-date with my software. Is there anyone out there that knows how to fix this? Copy works fine but backup doesn’t. No validation errors and permissions are set correctly.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• ShellMan
    ShellMan Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Nothing worked so I copied the data file to a thumb drive and then I uninstalled Quicken, did a RegEdit from the run command. I searched for the word Quicken and deleted everything I could from the registry. Then I rebooted the computer. I then reinstalled Quicken and copy my backup back to the Quicken directory. Opened Quicken, tried the backup and everything worked.

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first thing to do is update your QW2001 to Release 3. Get the patch file here: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html . Scroll all the way down to the bottom of that page.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Download/install the Quicken 2001 Deluxe R3 patch from http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • ShellMan
    ShellMan Member ✭✭
    Tried that but received an error message that says the ‘update will not work on your version of Quicken’.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Yeah, it says it's for Deluxe. It was worth a try. Just do manual "backups" in Windows Explorer by manually copying your data files elsewhere. Make sure to close Quicken first and copy all the files of the same name with extensions such as .QDF, .IDX, .QEL, etc.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @carmfiel, Please confirm the Q product and Version/Build that you're running by doing HELP, About Quicken.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• ShellMan
    ShellMan Member ✭✭
    Guess I’ll have to do that for now.
    Thanks
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

Delete the Manual Backup and simply create a new Manual Backup file. Real simple.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    NotACPA said:
    @carmfiel, Please confirm the Q product and Version/Build that you're running by doing HELP, About Quicken.

Do it anyway.  Even if you rejected this previously.  It's info that will help us in diagnosing your issue.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• ShellMan
    ShellMan Member ✭✭
    Quicken 2001 Basic Release R 1
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

You should at least try to convert to the 2013 version since you don’t use any online services or download transactions now.  Then it should run on newer versions of Windows.  Starting in 2014 they instituted an ID password to get into your own data. I’m staying on 2013.

2013 should run on Windows 10.  You can download 2013 for free (I think it's the Deluxe version) using this how to convert article.  It’s under Converting from Quicken 2004-2009.

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken 

If your version is 2003 or earlier you will need to first convert to 2004.  Then convert to 2013.  Read that whole article on converting.

And FYI - If your Quicken was before 2010 you should have several files making up the data.

The main data file ends in .QDF.  All Quicken versions prior to QW2010 store your data in a series of files all sharing the same filename but with different extensions like  - .QDF .IDX, .QEL, .QPH  and all 4 of those files were rolled into a single-file .QDF starting in 2010. 

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• ShellMan
    ShellMan Member ✭✭
    Thanks. I’ll look into that.
  • ShellMan
    ShellMan Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Nothing worked so I copied the data file to a thumb drive and then I uninstalled Quicken, did a RegEdit from the run command. I searched for the word Quicken and deleted everything I could from the registry. Then I rebooted the computer. I then reinstalled Quicken and copy my backup back to the Quicken directory. Opened Quicken, tried the backup and everything worked.
  • thecreator

That's good, but you never stated your operating system.

• ShellMan
    ShellMan Member ✭✭
    It was Windows 8.1
  • thecreator
    How come you haven't bit the bullet, figuratively speaking, and upgraded to Windows 10?

• ShellMan
    ShellMan Member ✭✭
    Don’t need to . Only use it for personal checking and savings. Don’t need all the bells and whistles.
  • ShellMan
    ShellMan Member ✭✭
    Sorry was referring to Quicken 2001. Windows 8.1 gives me all I need.
This discussion has been closed.