How to display two budgets, one just a subset of the first

Ken45140
Ken45140 Member ✭✭✭
edited January 2020 in Reports (Windows)
Not necessary to respond to this, as I see I was not observing the two Category Groups correctly. Ditto my comment below as I see the Edit option is under the little gear in the upper right. Sigh, so many places to look.
Apologies..........

I want to use the budget tool and the cumulative balances for managing spending mid month as well as month-to-month. I have tried to display a "subset" of the total budget to focus on the most frequent spending categories. Abbreviated example: I have a Food category with subset items called Dining and Groceries. I have another category called House, with subset items called Kitchen, Laundry, and Bathroom. I set up an Expense Category Group called "Expenses" and checked all of the Categories I wish to see in the ENTIRE budget (includes things like Auto, Medical, as well as other House items, etc). This displays and works fine.

Now I want a Category Group to focus on just spending in "Big Box" stores (Food, Kitchen, Laundry, Bath). So I made a Category Group named "Expenses_BigBox", but when showing the Budget, I get duplicates from my entire Budget as well as my smaller, "Big Box" category group. This because items in both "Expenses" as well as "Expenses_BigBox" are checked. This is the problem. There seems to be no way to "turn off" the "Expenses" without unchecking all of the items in the "Expenses" group.

How can I display full Budget (using Category Group "Expenses") but change to a smaller Budget (using Category Group "Expenses_BigBox") WITHOUT unchecking all of the items in the Category I do not want to display?

Thanks for previous help on my budget question. This aspect will get me closer to what I really want.
Ken

Best Answer

Answers

• Ken45140
    Ken45140 Member ✭✭✭
    I see that my observations above are in error, thqat putting a category in a different Category Group removes it from the initial group. So Food items in new category are NO LONGER in my original group. So no comments necessary unless you can tell me how to EDIT original message. I thought I had 24 hours to edit a posted message, but that appears to not be the case.
    Sorry for taking your time.
    Ken
  • Ken45140
    Ken45140 Member ✭✭✭
    @Jim_Harman : thanks, I will see if that meets my needs better than what I set up so far. Always some experimenting needed.
    Ken
This discussion has been closed.