Customer Invoice account / balance confusion

I am switching to using Quicken Business for invoicing after using FileMaker Pro for invoicing for about 20 years and it's not as intuitive as I expected... as I enter invoices, the amount I charge on the invoice ends up listed in the "Charged" column, and the amount the customer pays is listed in the "Paid" column. This happened automatically when I created invoices and linked payments. However, it shows that we are in the black by a certain amount, when the total is the sum of outstanding invoices and it should be in the RED by that amount. I'm flummoxed... am I supposed to list the charges on an invoice as negative numbers? What's the trick here that I'm missing? (I'm sure it's user error... but my Googling and browsing the community hasn't helped one bit.)

Comments

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Payments should not be listed on Invoices. You can create a customer statement to show payments.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • LTownsend
    LTownsend Member ✭✭
    So the invoice is not what I am sending as "bill" to the client? It seems like it's set up that way (the amount of the invoice shows up as "charged"... and I'm assuming it means what I, the business have charged the customer on the invoice), because after I create the invoice there is a button ("receive payment") to click to record when the client pays. The payment doesn't show up on the invoice, it just records directly into the account of deposit (as a positive amount being added to that account) and then also automatically shows up in the "customer invoices" account in the "paid" column.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You would initially send an invoice. If the customer made a full or partial payment, you would send a statement.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
This discussion has been closed.