Account Details, selling Commissions, & Fees tab

Options
Mike Sabot
Mike Sabot Member ✭✭✭
edited February 2020 in Investing (Windows)
My broker changes no commission fees when I sell a stock or bond. Under the Account Details, there is a Fee tab where you can put default Transction fees. If I put 0 in fixed or % for fees or commission, nothing is stored or remembered. Is this a known bug? Every time I import a sold stock or bond, before Quicken will accept it, I have to manually put 0 in for commission.

Comments

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hmmm - not sure what you are seeing.
    For my Schwab account - when a transaction gets downloaded, the "commission" was listed in the transaction field... But they are all doing the "zero fee" thing now.
    I never even noticed the "Fees" icon at the bottom of the Account Details
    - since any costs were part of the transaction entry.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ...   Every time I import a sold stock or bond, before Quicken will accept it, I have to manually put 0 in for commission.
    Broadly speaking, that should not be the case.  (It doesn't occur for me, not using Fidelity).

I wonder if the price and shares values from Fidelity aren't matching up to the total transaction amount to the penny and you are being prompted to identify what to change to account for any discrepancy?  As a general rule, you should allow Quicken to calculate the price/share from the total and the number of shares.  
  • Mike Sabot
    Mike Sabot Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    When a fund is sold in an IRA. My transactions come from Fidelity, the only thing I need to do for Quicken to accept the transaction is put a 0 in the commission field. I would have thought the fees tab in account settings would handle that, but I can't get it to store any amounts
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It does not default to zero if you don't enter anything in the commission field? I have never had to enter commissions of zero.

As far as I know the numbers in the Fees tab are not used anywhere in Quicken.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When a fund is sold in an IRA. My transactions come from Fidelity, the only thing I need to do for Quicken to accept the transaction is put a 0 in the commission field.
    We have not seen that happening... 
    What value is already in the Commission field
    What is the fund lookup symbol you are selling in your IRA account

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Like @ps56k, I was not familiar with the "Fees" setting per account.  I tried entering a value (separately fixed or percent).  Nothing came of the data.  Having a value entered did not alter the behavior of manual transaction entry for a buy or sale.  The associated help information does not indicate what is supposed to happen with the entries.  It appears to me to only act as a reference table.