Unable to create destination data file

:#
I just upgraded to Quicken subscription on a new computer. When I try to open a backup QDATA file (, it is "unable to create destination data file." I tried installing Quicken 2004 as well as Quicken 2013. Neither worked. I spent an hour on the phone with the Quicken rep, and they told me it's an issue with my PC. I called HP, and they said it's definitely an issue with Quicken. Has anyone solved this issue already?

Best Answer

Answers

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

You can't open a Backup, you need to read the procedure.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• eats1108
    eats1108 Member ✭✭
    When I was on the phone with the Quicken, they had me all of these steps already. I tried it again just now, and am still unable to restore my backup file.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    "New computer" are two scary words. You need to figure out what is different between your new and old computers. Maybe the old one had an older operating system than the new one, and the new one has more security features with which you're not yet familiar. HP almost certainly has nothing to do with this. Microsoft Windows might.
    Post full details of what is different between your old and new computers. Tell us the full path names, starting with C:\, of your Quicken data and backup files.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• thecreator
    eats1108 said:
    When I was on the phone with the Quicken, they had me all of these steps already. I tried it again just now, and am still unable to restore my backup file.
    Hi @eats1108 ,

Did you delete the folders and run CCleaner Free?

Is it an actual Manual Backup File?
    Extension:  2-31.QDF-backup

Or is it simply a copy of your Quicken Data File?
    Extension: 2020.QDF

Path for location of the Quicken Data File:
    I:\My Documents\Quicken 2020 Data

What is your Windows operating system? If Windows 10, what is the Build Number?

The Quicken Data Folder can be located on any internal Hard Drive partition.
    The Program Files are on the C:\ operating system partition.
    My Documents are located on its separate partition.

In case the operating system became corrupted and could not boot into the operating system, I can simple either:
    1. Restore an Acronis Image of the operating system.
    2. Reformat and reinstall the operating system.
    3. Reset this PC.
    In either scenario, I lose nothing, except a little time.

So, use File Explorer Options and choose to View Extensions of files.

Then, still using File Explorer, locate your Documents folder. Highlight Documents and create a New Folder and rename the New Folder, like Quicken 2020 Data.
    It works fine.

• eats1108
    eats1108 Member ✭✭
    Yes, I deleted the folders.
    Yes, I ran the cleaner file.
    Yes, it is a manual backup file.
    Yes, the path for location is in C:\Users\eats1108\Documents\Quicken 2020

Edition: Windows 10 Home
    Version: 1909
    Installed on: 1/30/2020
    OS Build: 18363.592

No, it doesn't work fine.
  • eats1108
    eats1108 Member ✭✭
    > @"Rocket J Squirrel" said:
    > "New computer" are two scary words. You need to figure out what is different between your new and old computers. Maybe the old one had an older operating system than the new one, and the new one has more security features with which you're not yet familiar. HP almost certainly has nothing to do with this. Microsoft Windows might.
    > Post full details of what is different between your old and new computers. Tell us the full path names, starting with C:\, of your Quicken data and backup files.

Info on my new computer:
    Edition: Windows 10 Home
    Version: 1909
    Installed on: 1/30/2020
    OS Build: 18363.592

My previous computer, which I no longer have, is from 2013.

New path for file: C:\Users\eats1108\Documents\Quicken 2020
    Restoring back from external drive: \\WD\Public\My Documents\I Wanna be a Billionaire\Quicken Backup
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    See if renaming that "Quicken 2020" data file to simply "Quicken2020" (removing the space) helps.
    Q sometimes chokes on spaces or punctuation in file and folder names.
    Use Windows to make this change, then try the File, Restore again.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• eats1108
    eats1108 Member ✭✭
    > @NotACPA said:
    > See if renaming that "Quicken 2020" data file to simply "Quicken2020" (removing the space) helps.Q sometimes chokes on spaces or punctuation in file and folder names.Use Windows to make this change, then try the File, Restore again.

It was worth a shot! I still got the error message: "unable to create destination data file"
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Let's try something different. Instead of trying to restore your Quicken backup file directly from your WD network drive, use Windows to copy it from the WD to your C:\Users\eats1108\Documents\Quicken2020 folder.
    If the file extension is .QDF-backup, change it to just plain .QDF. Windows may warn you about this but do it anyway.
    Then double-click the newly-renamed .QDF file. Quicken should open it if your running version of Quicken is compatible with it.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• eats1108
    eats1108 Member ✭✭
    > @Rocket J Squirrel said:
    > Let's try something different. Instead of trying to restore your Quicken backup file directly from your WD network drive, use Windows to copy it from the WD to your C:\Users\eats1108\Documents\Quicken2020 folder.If the file extension is .QDF-backup, change it to just plain .QDF. Windows may warn you about this but do it anyway.Then double-click the newly-renamed .QDF file. Quicken should open it if your running version of Quicken is compatible with it.

It still didn't work. Maybe my 10/2/2019 backup file is corrupt. I tried "Validate and Repair," but it's telling me install Quick 2004 (which I tried again, and still didn't work).
  • thecreator

Start with additional information.

What was the Quicken program (Complete Name) you were using with the old computer?

Why do a Manual Backup to a Public Folder? 
    You wrote above: "\\WD\Public\My Documents\I Wanna be a Billionaire\Quicken Backup"

From what version of Quicken is your 10/2/2019 Backup file from?

Answers are needed, because we are trying to help and we don't know.

• eats1108
    eats1108 Member ✭✭
    > @thecreator said:
    > Hi @eats1108 ,
    > Start with additional information.
    > What was the Quicken program (Complete Name) you were using with the old computer?
    > Why do a Manual Backup to a Public Folder? 
    > You wrote above: "\\WD\Public\My Documents\I Wanna be a Billionaire\Quicken Backup"
    > From what version of Quicken is your 10/2/2019 Backup file from?
    > Answers are needed, because we are trying to help and we don't know.

I had Quicken 2017 on the old computer.
    I keep manual backups on an external drive in case my computer completely dies (like this last one just did).
    The back file was for Quicken 2017.
    Happy to provide info, as I am trying to solve something I don't know.
  • thecreator

Glad to know that Quicken 2004 or Quicken 2013 are not needed

There is no File Data Conversion, because Quicken 2017 and Quicken Subscription program Data Files are interchangeable.

You are mentioning an External Hard Drive.

Is the External Hard Drive, a USB Hard Drive plugged into the computer?

Is it an External Hard Drive, in a Network-Attached Storage Unit that is plugged into your Router?

Your Backup Path: "\\WD\Public\My Documents\I Wanna be a Billionaire\Quicken Backup"

My Backup Path is :  Z:\Quicken Backup\Creator 2020-2020-02-05.QDF-backup

Z:\ is a Mapped Hard Drive from a Network-Attached Storage Unit plugged into the Router.

Z:\ is not Shared, publicly. The Backups are not buried in a tree.

Answers, please. :)

• eats1108
    eats1108 Member ✭✭
    > @thecreator said:
    > Hi @eats1108 ,
    > Glad to know that Quicken 2004 or Quicken 2013 are not needed
    > There is no File Data Conversion, because Quicken 2017 and Quicken Subscription program Data Files are interchangeable.
    >
    > You are mentioning an External Hard Drive.
    > Is the External Hard Drive, a USB Hard Drive plugged into the computer?
    > Is it an External Hard Drive, in a Network-Attached Storage Unit that is plugged into your Router?
    > Your Backup Path: "\\WD\Public\My Documents\I Wanna be a Billionaire\Quicken Backup"
    > My Backup Path is :  Z:\Quicken Backup\Creator 2020-2020-02-05.QDF-backup
    > Z:\ is a Mapped Hard Drive from a Network-Attached Storage Unit plugged into the Router.
    > Z:\ is not Shared, publicly. The Backups are not buried in a tree.
    >
    > Answers, please. :)

My external hard drive is connected to my router.
    The folder named "Public" may be deceiving, as it was the default when I set up my external hard drive. My wifi network is secured with a password.
  • eats1108
    eats1108 Member ✭✭
    > @NotACPA said:
    > Is that your ONLY backup?  Because it sure sounds like it's corrupted. Have you tried restoring from another backup?

I was able to restore a file from 2/2018.
  • thecreator
    Hi @eats1108 ,

Thanks.

You can make your setup, better, if you Map your Hard Drive to the operating system.
    Once mapped, you can use a Drive Letter like Z:\.
    Create a New Folder called Quicken Backup.

Now you can actually shorten the path to your Quicken Backups.

When you run a Manual Backup, after finishing your work in Quicken, you want to see:

Never check the box above. If you Close Quicken, before you see backed up successfully, your Backup may not be able to be restored.

I only do Manual Backups and after making changes, before closing Quicken.

• eats1108
    eats1108 Member ✭✭
    > @thecreator said:
    > Hi @eats1108 ,
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > You can make your setup, better, if you Map your Hard Drive to the operating system.
    > Once mapped, you can use a Drive Letter like Z:\.
    > Create a New Folder called Quicken Backup.
    >
    > Now you can actually shorten the path to your Quicken Backups.
    >
    > (Image)
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > When you run a Manual Backup, after finishing your work in Quicken, you want to see:
    >
    > (Image)
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Never check the box above. If you Close Quicken, before you see backed up successfully, your Backup may not be able to be restored.
    >
    > I only do Manual Backups and after making changes, before closing Quicken.

Thanks. I don't think it is a network issue, as I was able to restore a backup file from two years ago.
This discussion has been closed.