When entering entire stock lot sale receive error message there are insufficient shares.

Options
For several weeks and 4 X 1hr sessions with Quicken support, I continue to experience an anomaly with the number of shares in a single lot when I sell it. The lot contains 975 shares; when 975 is entered by any of the 3 means available, an error message that only 974 shares are available. I can sell 974 shares of stock and there is 1 share remaining. When I attempt to sell the 1 share, Quicken advises -0 shares are available.
Quicken support suggests that I rebuild the account, which would be impossible since it goes back to 1998. Transactions in the account are all entered manually.
Are there any prior experiences with this glitch that might give me clues as to how to resolve the problem? Is there a workaround that will remove the 1 remaining share from the account? It is being sold within a charitable trust so basis is now of little importance.
Thank you for your help.

Terry

Best Answers

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    "What impact would simply removing the 1 orphaned share if the program will permit it?"
    In principle, none.  It will possibly show up on some report in some fashion you (and I) don't foresee.  For some of us anal-retentive types, it is hard to take that type of path if we think there is a 'true' way to address it.   

Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Options
    ....... never mind - can't delete

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• terryesh
    terryesh Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks ps56k
    It is stock. I never used One Step Update; all entries are manual.

No possibility of fractional shares. I manually verified all historical transactions including splits. The math all checks out. The issue is the program isn't reconciling. When selecting sell entire lot, the program enters the correct number, but then claims one less.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Weird - I've never done it manually - only via One Step Update - and never - lots -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Do you have any prior sale history with this security in this account?
    What are the details of the split(s) you referenced?
    I'm not sure what "3 means" you mean.  Does one include the "Sell all shares" checkbox?
    You could try a Shares Transferred between accounts; transferring to the same account.  That will generate a Remove Shares and an Add Shares.  You may then be able to Sell the newly 'added' shares.  (That is a concept suggestion; I have no proof it will accomplish anything.)
    At some other point in the time frame of this holding, can you sell all the shares -- like before the last split?

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I suspect a rounding error due to one or more of the splits.  You may confirm the theory by removing the splits.  Once confirmed, you should be able to work around the issue by replacing the problematic splits with equivalent Removed and Added transactions.

Before making significant changes to the data file, save a backup: Ctrl + B
  • terryesh
    terryesh Member ✭✭
    Options
    Over time there were multiple stock sales. The math is verified without fractional shares.
    There were 4 splits: 3- 2X and 1- 1.5X
    The "3 means": 1) manual entry, 2) check sell all shares in the account, 3) specify lots sold in this transaction (see ps56k screenie).
    I did try to transfer between two accounts. The transfer occurs. When you make the transfer selection you can specify lots. The transfer of all shares occurs without issue. When try selecting lots as above it informs that the 975 shares are not available. Then I exit that and select all lots, the transaction occurs.
    I cannot go back before a split since there are multiple sales in the interim that make it difficult to recreate.
    What impact would simply removing the 1 orphaned share if the program will permit it? I no longer need to track basis. The stock was "gifted" to the charitable fund. I could annotate the difficulty with the sale transaction.
  • terryesh
    terryesh Member ✭✭
    Options
    The stock splits were either 2X or 1.5X that wouldn't produce factional amounts since the stock balance never was below 100 shares.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    "What impact would simply removing the 1 orphaned share if the program will permit it?"
    In principle, none.  It will possibly show up on some report in some fashion you (and I) don't foresee.  For some of us anal-retentive types, it is hard to take that type of path if we think there is a 'true' way to address it.   
This discussion has been closed.