Can I put all my backup files of quicken into one folder

Options
I have backups for quicken all over my computer in Documents, File Explorer, about any place i go. Somehow i have files called backups and a bunch of backups everywhere else. Can I make on folder and drag everything there then make a new folder to backup in from here on. I have had to reset my quicken several times lately and it has been hard to find the latest version so I don't have to reenter my info.

Best Answer

Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There are normally two /backup/ folders.... under the /Quicken/ user folder -
    One is for the auto backups, and the 2nd is for the manually initiated ones.
    Mine are here -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

All my Quicken Data Files Backups are backed up, manually into one file on my Mapped Hard Drive with Add Date to the Filename.

I have NO Backups existing on the operating system partition, at all.

I back up to Z:\Quicken Backup\.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Lorrie 5
    Lorrie 5 Member
    Options
    I go through every now and then and delete prior backups, and keep only the last 1 or 2. that were generated when Q would ask if I wanted to create one as I was exiting the program. Otherwise my desktop gets full of Q icons. So far (knock on wood) I have never needed to use a backup as launching from the main Q icon has always held my current data.

Should I be keeping all of those backups?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lorrie 5 said:
    I go through every now and then and delete prior backups, and keep only the last 1 or 2. that were generated when Q would ask if I wanted to create one as I was exiting the program. Otherwise my desktop gets full of Q icons. So far (knock on wood) I have never needed to use a backup as launching from the main Q icon has always held my current data.

In my opinion, you're taking an unnecessary risk.   

In Quicken, I only keep 5 automatic backups and 1 manual backup.   However, I am using Window's File History to maintain backups hourly for a month and monthly there after on an external drive.  I also use Duplicati to maintain 3 months of daily backups, followed by 3 months of weekly backups, followed by 6 monthly backups all securely on cloud storage.    In addition, I maintain 3 monthly system images and weekly Windows backups on an external drive.  I stlll have access (laziness) to over 20 backup data files saved when I upgraded Quicken annually.  

Disk 
    space is cheap.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lorrie 5 said:

Hi @Lorrie 5 ,

Then you first install Quicken and do a Manual Backup, the default location, is always the Desktop and that's why you see the Backups located on the Desktop.

Change the location of where you want to store your Quicken Manual Backups by clicking Change

For Me, I have a folder called Quicken Backup located on an external Mapped Hard Drive with Add date to backup file name checked.

Personal disk space is cheap and unlimited.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

This discussion has been closed.