How to edit a future bill reminder? (Q Win)

I'm trying to edit a future bill reminder. For example, I have a reminder setup once a month on the 15th. It's currently Feb 13 and I want to change the reminder coming up in Apr and all reminders after Apr, but I don't want to change the Feb 15 or Mar 15 reminder. So I find the Apr 15 reminder under Bills & Income tab, choose the option to "Edit this and all future reminders". The Edit Bill Reminder window opens and the Due next on field says Feb 15. This is correct, but if I proceed with changing the bill reminder it changes all bill reminders in the series (Feb and onward) instead of the Apr bill reminder I selected. If I do the same thing but change the Due next on field to Apr 15, it changes the Apr 15 and future reminders but deletes the Feb and Mar reminders. So, if selecting the reminder I want to change doesn't allow me to change that reminder and the reminders that come after it without changing any reminders before the one I selected, how can I do this? It's frustrating when this happens because when I'm notified of a change in my billing amount I can't just update Quicken and have it remind me of the correct amount. Instead, I have keep track of when the new amount applies and I have to remind Quicken. Seems a little backward, doesn't it? Am I missing something in how an action like this should be performed?

Thanks.

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020 Answer ✓
    Hi @steve,

Yes it can be frustrating sometimes...  The problem is that the Q reminders that repeat are set-up to repeat the memorized information on whatever schedule has been established for whatever time frame was initially set-up.  I do think you can get to where you want to go however.

Here's what I would do:
    1) Open your check register (from which you made your last payment of his recurring payment), locate that payment (this would be dated 1/15/20 in your case), right click on it and from the drop-down select "Add reminder";
    2) In the window that opens, change the "Due next on" date to the date of the first payment having the new amount (in this case - 4/15/20);
    3) Next change the "Amount" to the new payment. The other data reflected should be the same with your current payment information and would not need to be altered, so click "Done";
    4) Now go to the next scheduled reminder for this payment (probably via the home screen under "Bill & Income Reminders" and on the far right (the Action column) click on "Edit" and then on "Edit this and ll future instances...";
    5) On the pop-up screen - to the right of the "Due next on" field click on "change";
    6) In the "End date" field insert - a date immediately after your last payment having this old amount (I'd use 3/16/20 under your fact pattern), and then click OK, and then "Done" on he next screen.

That should do it.  I know you're thinking that there should be an easier way (and you are probably right) but unfortunately I don't think one exists at this time.

Let me know how you make out.

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020 Answer ✓
    Hi @steve,

Yes it can be frustrating sometimes...  The problem is that the Q reminders that repeat are set-up to repeat the memorized information on whatever schedule has been established for whatever time frame was initially set-up.  I do think you can get to where you want to go however.

Here's what I would do:
    1) Open your check register (from which you made your last payment of his recurring payment), locate that payment (this would be dated 1/15/20 in your case), right click on it and from the drop-down select "Add reminder";
    2) In the window that opens, change the "Due next on" date to the date of the first payment having the new amount (in this case - 4/15/20);
    3) Next change the "Amount" to the new payment. The other data reflected should be the same with your current payment information and would not need to be altered, so click "Done";
    4) Now go to the next scheduled reminder for this payment (probably via the home screen under "Bill & Income Reminders" and on the far right (the Action column) click on "Edit" and then on "Edit this and ll future instances...";
    5) On the pop-up screen - to the right of the "Due next on" field click on "change";
    6) In the "End date" field insert - a date immediately after your last payment having this old amount (I'd use 3/16/20 under your fact pattern), and then click OK, and then "Done" on he next screen.

That should do it.  I know you're thinking that there should be an easier way (and you are probably right) but unfortunately I don't think one exists at this time.

Let me know how you make out.

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    You may use a second reminder.  For example, create a new reminder that will start on April 15th and set the original reminder to end on March 15th.  

Another approach is to enter the February and March reminder's transactions early and then edit the reminder.
  • steve@
    steve@ Member ✭✭
    Thanks @Frankx, that worked. It is certainly cumbersome to manage reminders this way. Knowing that I can add a reminder based on an entry in an account register is certainly helpful and will make changes like this easier to manage in the future. Instead of creating a reminder that repeats forever, I will just create reminders for the period of time I know the bill amount will stay consistent. Thanks again.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @steve,

Yes that is the approach that I take.  Glad I was able to help!

This discussion has been closed.