Best Way to Fix Payee's Everywhere in System (is there one place??)

Options
I want to fix my payee's Names everywhere (already entered) and fix the memorized and Bill and Income Reminders (already setup) in system.

I have found over time my data is having slightly different formats in my system and I may have the same version of the same payee multiple times with slight differences.

I thought I could go through the memorized list to fix but I don't think it's fixing data already in registers? If I do a find entries on a search and then change the payee's so that are all the same then it's adding another entry into memorized list, where I have to go in and reanalyze on ones I want to keep/delete/change.

I'm trying to clean up my data quickly.

Best Answer

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you've got variations of a payee's name scattered throughout your Quicken file then the easiest approach is to use the Edit > Find/Replace... tool.  You enter enough of the payee's name in the search box to be reasonably certain that you'll pick up all the variations.  Quicken will display all "hits" and you can look through the list to determine if any payees should be eliminated from what Quicken's found, then change all the selected names to the one name you want to use.  Then run a Reports > Spending > Itemized Payees report to see if your satisfied with the results.
  • BRETTB
    BRETTB Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes I have been doing that but seems that there could be an easier way or an improvement versus jumping around like 3 different areas. Find, then go to memorize, find and fix, probably have to go to address book too.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not that I'm aware of.  Obviously the Find/Replace method can deal with hundreds of instances.  The memorized payees fix should be pretty trivial unless the variations of names scatters the payees all over the alphabet.  Likewise for the reminders.
This discussion has been closed.