Can I open an old backup file without messing up my current information?

Options
My mother passed away in April of 2017, we had her/our files on Quicken (we shared a bank account), when she passed away I renewed the Quicken subscription and started over with making my account a whole new thing. Can I go back and look at those old backup files without messing up my current account information?

Best Answer

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The data is in a data file, not the program.  If your current data file happens to have the same name as the previous, combined data file, then doing a restore of a backup will ask if you want to overwrite the current file or create a copy, select copy and give it an appropriate name.
    Each file stands on its own, so you should not have any crossover issues with information.
    Once restored, you can switch between the two files using the recent files list at the bottom of the File menu.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The data is in a data file, not the program.  If your current data file happens to have the same name as the previous, combined data file, then doing a restore of a backup will ask if you want to overwrite the current file or create a copy, select copy and give it an appropriate name.
    Each file stands on its own, so you should not have any crossover issues with information.
    Once restored, you can switch between the two files using the recent files list at the bottom of the File menu.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.