Bank account password continual lockouts

I've recently started using Quicken and ever since then one of my two accounts I use always gets locked out. Every time I try to login into my bank account I have to request a password reset because I am locked out (Multiple failed attempts lock out). I've contacted the bank and worked with them to try and isolate the issue. They advised that my account is continually being accessed so frequently (multiple times within seconds) that my account gets locked out. They are unable to isolate any further, but recommended I contact Quicken since this issue didn't begin until I started using it.

Comments

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @crdrsm,

I assume that you have this account setup for downloads.  Do those downloads actually work - i.e. are you able to receive data and send payments, etc. without any issues?

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• crdrsm
    crdrsm Member
    Hi Frankx, Yes, after I reset my bank account password and make sure my Quicken password for the reset account is also correct I can download my account information successfully. Then I go through the reset password procedure the next time I want to log in all over again.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Hello @crdrsm

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue, although I apologize that you haven't received a follow-up response.

At this time I would recommend contacting support directly for advanced troubleshooting steps.

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

Quicken Care has the tools to review and research this issue further.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the bank password, as stored in the Password Vault, correct?
    If no, change it.
    Either way,  run an OSU or "Update Now" from the bank account register.
    This will let the Quicken Express Web Connect server know about the new password in effect.
  • NsdLocal
    NsdLocal Member ✭✭
    Here's an idea that may help, especially since you apparently never have gotten your bank password to work.

Quicken lies, and so do some bank websites, about how many characters a password can have.

On some bank sites, they'll happily accept a password that's too long, but then not allow it as valid when you use it later. In Quicken, much the same occurs, except you run up the number of false attempts (usually a third blocks you), and thene you can't use the password anywhere.

Solution: Wells Fargo, with which I've had much problem on this, actually allows 14 characters -- only. Why? Some combination of ancient actual software behind the fancy tricks, and possibly some 'suggestion' that passwords be crackable.

So try making a 14-letter passphrase. A description of some place or something unique enough to you, and that you're sure to remember, but also with a number or two substituting words or otherwise breaking up having only letters. I would avoid punctuation unless your bank says it requires it, as this can also be a 'silent fail' problem.

Good fortune, and of course be sure the new passphrase is accepted on a fresh web login at the bank before you put it in to Quicken. I find it's handy to type it into a note that I won't save, then copy it so I can paste what's sure to be correct into such a program. Then be sure you don't save that note!
  • crdrsm
    crdrsm Member
    The password I use for my back does and head worked. The problem is that apparently and according to the bank, Quicken continuously attempts to login to my bank account. These repeated logins result in an account lockout. This isn't happening with my other account that I use (which is weird). The bank advised that these logins must be machine generated as they occur milliseconds apart.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    crdrsm said:
    The password I use for my back does and head worked. The problem is that apparently and according to the bank, Quicken continuously attempts to login to my bank account. These repeated logins result in an account lockout. This isn't happening with my other account that I use (which is weird). The bank advised that these logins must be machine generated as they occur milliseconds apart.

Do you have two logon IDs at the same bank? Or just one?
    And, asking again, is the password to your logon ID at the bank, as stored in the Password Vault in Quicken correct?
    Have you ever experimented with Mint or some other web-based financial management software product and could this be using an incorrect password?
  • crdrsm
    crdrsm Member
    I use separate login names and passwords for my two accounts. Once I reset my bank password I always go into the vault and make sure it aligns. I download my data from the bank and then make my account adjustments in Quicken. Once I log out I have to go through the password reset process again, make sure my Quicken vault password is good, make my adjustments, then repeat. I've never used Mint. The password is correct in the vault because Quicken pulls the data from my bank account. I never had this issue until this year and the updated version of Quicken. Although I didn't use it last year, I upgraded the 2018 version. It's odd that my other bank account is not experiencing the same issue.
This discussion has been closed.