Throttler denied request (Q Mac)

akwicken17
akwicken17 Member ✭✭
I get "Throttler denied request. Decision was IN_PROGRESS" nearly every day. This error occurs only with one of two accounts. Both accounts are with Bank of America. Once the error panel pops up, I can immediately click retry and the retry then completes successfully.

I've seen the responses indicating this is mostly an issue with the Mac version, and deactivating and reactivating can fix it, That did not work for me.

I believe the problem is that BofA's system allows only one connection at a time from me, and Quicken is attempting to perform the operations in parallel.

Of course I could be completely off the mark on the cause here, but this certainly matches the symptoms.

I get that this isn't really a Quicken bug, but a workaround would be to serialize connections to the same institution. Perhaps better would be for BofA to allow at least a couple of concurrent connections.

Not sure which of these solutions is more likely to happen.

Best Answer

Answers

• Quicken_Natalie
    Quicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    edited February 2020
    Hello @akwicken17,

Thank you for providing the details of this issue to the Community, although I apologize that you have not yet received a response.

If you are still needing assistance with downloading your Bank of America account(s) in Quicken, please take a moment and review the information available here and post back to let us know what version and release of Quicken you're using.

Please also let us know the full name of the financial institution as displayed in Quicken, as well as the Connection Type being used.

You can find this information by going to Accounts>Settings, with the account highlighted on the left:

Additionally, do you receive any error codes when you receive the "Throttler denied request. Decision was IN_PROGRESS" error?

The more information you can provide regarding this issue will help the Community to better understand and assist.

Thank you,

Quicken Natalie

• akwicken17
    akwicken17 Member ✭✭
    Hi Natalie,

Thanks for the response. I'm using:

Quicken Deluxe 2020
    Version 5.14.3 (Build 514.31897.100)
    macOS 10.15.3

The same problem occurred with Quicken for Mac 2017, and I was hoping it would just disappear with the upgrade.

Regarding the account info, from the Accounts -> Settings panel:

Financial Institution: Bank of America
    Connection Type: Quicken Connect
    Account Number: xxxx

Note that both accounts involved have these same details except for the Account Number. FWIW, one account is a checking account, the other is a credit card. They are under the same online account at the bank and so have the same access credentials.

It is mostly random which account fails. Clicking the Retry button always succeeds.

Here's the text from the error panel:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Partial Download (-28)
    1 new transactions downloaded (there may be more transactions to download)
    CP_SERVER_ERROR:internal_api:Throttler denied request. Decision was IN_PROGRESS
    Last attempt: 2/9/2020 - 8:56 AM
    1 new transaction downloaded
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW, I don't see a way to upload images (might be a good thing because of the potential to expose sensitive details), but it would certainly make things easier if non-sensitive info like version and error message text was made selectable in the app (but I digress).

a.
  • akwicken17
    akwicken17 Member ✭✭
    Hi Natalie,

The deactivate/simultaneous-reactivate has done the trick. The behavior was somewhat strange. One account offered a "link" selection, and the other account only offered "add". This created a new account for that one at the same time as linking the other. The result was missing a bunch of transactions but I could move them from the old instance which got it sorted out.

Been a few days now and no more Throttler denied request errors.

Thanks so much for your help!
This discussion has been closed.