Help with changing online connection method-I'm stuck

I use NC State Employee Credit Union and they recently changed their connection method so that Direct Connect no longer works--you now have to set it to "Express Web Connect". I have 3 accounts at SECU and learned that to change it, I first needed to deactivate online services for all 3 accounts. I did that, and then started the process for editing/setting up the online connection and it went well. However, After I was done, it downloaded 45 days worth of transactions so many many duplicates. There is no easy way to delete them as a group in the little "Accept" window in Quicken, and I had accepted some incorrectly, so I decided to cancel out of there, restore from a backup, and start over.
Unfortunately, since doing that, when I now go to set up online services. I choose "Advanced Options", then enter my financial institution, then select "Express Web Connect" and then enter my login info. But that is where it gets stuck. Now, I get a popup window that says I already have accounts enabled for this institution that use a different connection type, and they all need to be the same. Except that I don't. I deactivated all 3 accounts from online access. How do I get it unstuck so I can proceed??

Best Answer

• aec618
    aec618 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    OK, I'm finally set, but I want those 5 hours of my life back!
    Tonight I tackled it again. One thing I did different is I kept backing up my file to different folders I made for different points in the process, so if I had to go back and re-do something, I wouldn't have to go ALL the way back to the beginning.

So, I deactivated online connections for all 3 of my SECU accts, and I deactivated Quickn Billpay from my checking acct. Then I set up my SECU accts with online access again and it actually defaulted to "Express Web Connect" this time, which is what SECU now wants. Once that was done, it downloaded all my transactions from mid-November on. I sure wish there was a way to avoid that! It was several hundred!

Anyway, in the downloaded transactions window at the bottom of my register, I looked for recent activity (i.e. since my last good download last week) and found several that "matched" and several others that came across as "new". I verified those new ones, one by one, and wrote "GOOD" in the memo line in the register if they were legit and not dupes. (Most were dupes). Then I clicked "Accept all".

Next, I went through my register and deleted all the dupes, they were listed as cleared but not reconciled, so they stood out. I had made a fresh Quicken file with the new year, so right away I knew I could delete anything prior to 12/31/19. After that I just had to scroll through and delete all the new "cleared" transactions unless I'd written "GOOD" in the memo. Once that was done, I reconciled and it was like $119 and change off. At this point I said "close enough!", threw in the towel and let Quicken do a register entry to adjust the balance. I'll just have to watch activity carefully (and cross reference with SECUs website) over the next week or so to make sure my balance is what I think it is.

After all this, I re-enabled Quicken Billpay on my SECU checking act. It went smooth; it downloaded a bunch of activity but was smart enough to figure out that the entries were already there.

**One last aggravating thing: I did a One Step Update with all my banks enabled (two different credit unions plus QBP). I got a popup saying that Quicken Billpay couldn't connect, error OL-297A. I though oh boy, that's the same error I got after SECU changed; now I've changed my setup to make it work with SECU and now QBP won't work! However, after a few seconds, that window went away, and everything updated normally. I transmitted a test payment and verified it went through by checking the QBP website directly. Then I cancelled it in Quicken, and re-verified at QBP website and it's good to go--cancelled. So QBP is working for me, but I still get that window popping up at the start of One Step Update telling me the QBP can't connect. But then it does. So, aggravating, but it works.
    I sure wish SECU had not monkeyed with the way the interact with Quicken!!

Answers

• aec618
    aec618 Member ✭✭
    So, I was able to connect again by selecting one of my other SECU accts and setting up online services. But this whole thing is a mess. My register won't balance, there's over 200 downloaded transactions going back 46 days, many of them duplicates, and One Step Update now has two listings for SECU and two listings for Quicken Billpay (QBP)--and now QBP won't connect.
    To add insult to injury, after all that, Quicken tells me that an improved connection method is available for SECU and I should consider changing to it--Direct Connect. That is what I had set up to begin with x 10 years, until it just stopped working 2 days ago!!!
    I eventually restored from a backup I had from this morning, so now I can't connect to SECU again, but at least I know my checkbook register balance is right and I can connect to Quicken Billpay. I'm hopeful that maybe on Tuesday when SECU people are all back from President's Day that maybe they'll fix something and it will connect. I'd love to know why some bonehead thought it a good idea to roll out a big change over a holiday weekend when no one is available to provide support.
  • LKQH
    LKQH Member ✭✭
    I'm having the same issue with LGFCU - mine said it downloaded over 4000 transactions, but it never asked me to accept anything. Tech told me to get help from Quicken, as the error CC-501 I keep getting says it's with Quicken's server. Any updates on your issue?
  • aec618
    aec618 Member ✭✭
    I got an email from NC State Employee's credit union yesterday, they say they can no longer allow use of the Direct Connect method due to "security issues" and I will have to change my Quicken settings to use the Express Web Connect method. Re Quicken then downloading the last 46 day's worth of transactions once I've done that, they say that's an issue with Quicken, not them (I call BS). At Navy Federal CU, I can download a Quicken compatible update file manually from their website and it gives the choice of a date range or "since last download". Not so with NC SECU. :/
  • LKQH
    LKQH Member ✭✭
    Spent an hour and 20 minutes with Quicken support, screen share, log share, deactivate downloads account by account (7), etc. Seems to be working now, having only a few transactions to match manually, but how long it will work, who knows???? Good luck.
  • wendyf209
    wendyf209 Member ✭✭
    I have changed all my accounts to web express and getting nowhere. I've tried everything that I have read and nothing works. Really annoyed.
  • aec618
    aec618 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    OK, I'm finally set, but I want those 5 hours of my life back!
    Tonight I tackled it again. One thing I did different is I kept backing up my file to different folders I made for different points in the process, so if I had to go back and re-do something, I wouldn't have to go ALL the way back to the beginning.

So, I deactivated online connections for all 3 of my SECU accts, and I deactivated Quickn Billpay from my checking acct. Then I set up my SECU accts with online access again and it actually defaulted to "Express Web Connect" this time, which is what SECU now wants. Once that was done, it downloaded all my transactions from mid-November on. I sure wish there was a way to avoid that! It was several hundred!

Anyway, in the downloaded transactions window at the bottom of my register, I looked for recent activity (i.e. since my last good download last week) and found several that "matched" and several others that came across as "new". I verified those new ones, one by one, and wrote "GOOD" in the memo line in the register if they were legit and not dupes. (Most were dupes). Then I clicked "Accept all".

Next, I went through my register and deleted all the dupes, they were listed as cleared but not reconciled, so they stood out. I had made a fresh Quicken file with the new year, so right away I knew I could delete anything prior to 12/31/19. After that I just had to scroll through and delete all the new "cleared" transactions unless I'd written "GOOD" in the memo. Once that was done, I reconciled and it was like $119 and change off. At this point I said "close enough!", threw in the towel and let Quicken do a register entry to adjust the balance. I'll just have to watch activity carefully (and cross reference with SECUs website) over the next week or so to make sure my balance is what I think it is.

After all this, I re-enabled Quicken Billpay on my SECU checking act. It went smooth; it downloaded a bunch of activity but was smart enough to figure out that the entries were already there.

**One last aggravating thing: I did a One Step Update with all my banks enabled (two different credit unions plus QBP). I got a popup saying that Quicken Billpay couldn't connect, error OL-297A. I though oh boy, that's the same error I got after SECU changed; now I've changed my setup to make it work with SECU and now QBP won't work! However, after a few seconds, that window went away, and everything updated normally. I transmitted a test payment and verified it went through by checking the QBP website directly. Then I cancelled it in Quicken, and re-verified at QBP website and it's good to go--cancelled. So QBP is working for me, but I still get that window popping up at the start of One Step Update telling me the QBP can't connect. But then it does. So, aggravating, but it works.
    I sure wish SECU had not monkeyed with the way the interact with Quicken!!
  • aec618
    aec618 Member ✭✭
    So as of last night 2/19/2020, I still get a popup window with an error message saying QBP can't connect when I start a OSU, but now it reports error OL-220A instead of OL-297A. The update still works if I ignore this and proceed.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello all,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report these issues.

There is ongoing alert for State Employees Credit Union:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7869898/ongoing-2-22-20-state-employees-credit-union-returns-an-ol-297-220-a-error/p1?new=1

If you would like to be automatically notified of any updates regarding this issue, please navigate to the link above and "bookmark" this Alert by clicking the yellow star in the upper right corner.

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
This discussion has been closed.