Allocations- Two improvements

Options
I think Quicken needs to make two improvements in allocations:
1. Create a Mid-cap asset class. These are used in many allocations. I currently assign the Other class to those securities.
2. Allow the allocations to be attached to the accounts and securities in the portfolio view. And allow custom allocations to be created, edited and saved with a name if possible.

Background:
My portfolio includes accounts that are professionally managed and other accounts that I manage. I created a custom portfolio view with only the accounts and securities that I manage. It was cumbersome to create the allocation because after selecting the accounts in the account selection window I was still presented with a bunch of securities not in those accounts in the securities selection window. This makes no sense. Then I noticed I was missing an account. After adding that account in the account selection window i noticed the securities selection was erased and I had to select those all over again.

It appears that Quicken only allows one allocation profile. It needs multiple. The easiest way for this to work is for the allocation to apply to the portfolio view and the accounts and securities to default to those in the portfolio view and and allow both to be edited.

I currently use a spreadsheet to update my allocation and I have to enter the current market value of each security. It would be much faster and easier if I could get the Quicken allocation to work for me.

I also manage my daughter's portfolio and would need a separate allocation for that. I have a portfolio view of her accounts.
Tagged:

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Several points here:

1 - Additional asset classes - I agree. Please go this product idea and add your comments and vote by clicking on the little arrow under the vote count in the big blue box
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/19281834#Comment_19281834

2 - I assume you mean different target allocations for different accounts. You can see what your current allocation is for individual accounts or securities or custom groups of them by making selections at the top of the Investing > Portfolio screen. It might be handy to be able to save these groupings, each with their own target. Note that you can save customized versions of the Investing > Asset Allocation report, which may meet your needs.

Also re: managing your daughter's portfolio, you might consider setting up a separate Quicken data file for her. Then she could have her own target allocation and her data will not get mixed in with yours in reports, tax planner, etc.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Ellary Kahan
    Ellary Kahan Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I'm referring to building Portfolio allocation. I see that the report allows selection of accounts and will only include those securities in those accounts. But the report doesn't include target allocations and the differences. If the view worked the same way it would be fine.
    However one security does not appear in the report. Both the account and security are checked to be included. Don't know why it's missing.
    But I think Quicken still needs to allow more than one allocation.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Right. It would be nice also if the body of the report showed percentages and not just dollars.

It would be an improvement to the Investing > Allocation page if it let you define and save multiple views with different account and security selections and different targets. For example I have different target allocations for investing, deferred, and Roth accounts and it would be handy to save these targets and selections. It could work just like the Show selection on the Investing > Portfolio page, with some pre-defined groupings and the ability to save custom ones.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Ellary Kahan
    Ellary Kahan Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I have an account and security that is checked to be included in the allocation but its value is not in the total. What could cause this?
This discussion has been closed.