I need to open an old Quicken data file without overwriting my current cloud file

The solution that appears when i explore the above issue in the FAQ is not at all reassuring. I don't have an old computer to run the file on. The advice contributor says - "Good Luck" ?!?

I can't take a chance on the information in the current or old files evaporating. I'd appreciate some additional information or at least a direction to look for a fail-safe option.
Tagged:

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    1) Be sure to have or create a backup of your current data file.
    2) When restoring your old data file, restore it using a filename different from your current file, e.g. your current file is named QDATA, your old file is restored to QDATAOLD
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    If you want a fail-safe option to prevent Quicken from updating any data in the Quicken Cloud, I suggest disconnecting the machine from the internet.

After you open the old data file, you may turn off the Cloud sync: https://www.quicken.com/support/what-quicken-cloud
  • JustMeHere
    JustMeHere Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    UKR said:
    1) Be sure to have or create a backup of your current data file.
    2) When restoring your old data file, restore it using a filename different from your current file, e.g. your current file is named QDATA, your old file is restored to QDATAOLD

@UKR I'm not sure this is "sufficient" to not overwrite the Quicken cloud data.  The way it knows a "data file" isn't by its name.  It is by an unique Id in the data file.  Just copying the data file (which is what restore does) doesn't change the unique Id.  This is actually by design.  If someone was to want to restore back to an old copy they would still want it to be connected to the same Quicken cloud account data.

I think the "Copy" function in Quicken should change the unique Id, but depending on when the sync happens if might be too late.
    Using Quicken Subscription Premier (and have a copy of Starter to test things on)
  • handrail54
    handrail54 Member
    Thanks all, I feel like i have a clearer way through this. I'll post when I have a result.
This discussion has been closed.