I have a QXF data file I need to enter into Starter, any ideas how to do this?

Best Answer

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to be clear, QXF files are used to transfer information between two Quicken data files and is not a download from a financial institution (FI).
    A QFX file is the file downloaded from a FI.
    Either one is imported into Quicken via the File->File Import menu selection, just be sure to select the appropriate QXF or QFX menu item.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• TheLogicEscapesMe
    TheLogicEscapesMe Member ✭✭✭
    > @splasher said:
    > Either one is imported into Quicken via the File->File Import menu selection, just be sure to select the appropriate QXF or QFX menu item.

Starter version doesn't have the QXF import.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Starter version doesn't have the QXF import.
    You are correct, that is something to add to my list that SE does not support.
    It neither imports or exports the QXF file.  I guess they figure that you are "starting" out and wouldn't have a previous file to do a QXF import from.
    It used to be that you could not open a file from a higher edition, but they changed that with subscription Quicken, allowing users to "downgrade" to SE.

• kedw5254
    kedw5254 Member
    So I need to get a higher version than Starter? Taking over as club treasurer and prior treasurer used Apple. I was trying to save club some money.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    kedw5254 said:
    So I need to get a higher version than Starter? Taking over as club treasurer and prior treasurer used Apple. I was trying to save club some money.
    SO... to clarify - the previous user had Quicken on a MAC -
    and has created a Quicken QXF Exchange File
    given it to you,
    and now you want to use that file with a version of Quicken Windows -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a downside to Starter Edition.  If/when the subscription expires, it goes into READ ONLY mode.  You will not be able to create any new transactions, so to continue using it, you will HAVE to renew.
    With Deluxe and higher, if/when the subscription expires, you get a nag screen that steals about 25% of the screen, BUT you can still use Quicken in a completely manual mode, so you don't have to renew to keep using it.
    Something tells me that the club probably doesn't have a lot of financial activity, so running in manual mode would probably not be that bad.
    See this forum thread on the nag screen: Expiration-Vote
    Be sure to vote in the blue banner at the bottom of the original post.

• kedw5254
    kedw5254 Member
    I got 2019 Deluxe but it still doesn’t recognize a QXF file?
  • TheLogicEscapesMe
    @kedw5254 That shouldn't be the case. Can you describe what you are seeing?
    First make sure you have Deluxe by selecting Help -> About Quicken.

Also can you post a screenshot of your import menu like I did below (I used my PrtSc button, then opened paint, and Ctrl+v, and edited to have just that menu).
    You can use the Snipping tool directly because the menu will drop when you go to another program. You can use the snipping tool to cut out what you want from Paint.
  • TheLogicEscapesMe
    "You can use the Snipping tool directly", should have been:
    "You can't use the Snipping tool directly"

(Note to moderators/SuperUsers) the "edit comment" doesn't work for new users. It gives the error "Format Error" when you go to save the edited comment.)
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    kedw5254 said:
    Just added the instream screen grab from above -
    Also - make sure of what you have -
    ... QFX --> Web Connect File - downloaded transactions
    ... vs QXF --> Quicken Transfer (Exchange) Format - system to system transfer

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• kedw5254
    kedw5254 Member
    Got It!!

Thanks all
This discussion has been closed.