Investment transactions in Starter

Hi folks, new to the Community but not new to Quicken. I have been using it for decades, most recently Quicken 2008 offline. I just installed a new version of Starter and I expected to be able to manually enter investment transactions into an investment account but it looks like I can't do that. Is that not supported in Starter?

Best Answer

Answers

• Jim__H
    Jim__H Member
    Thanks ps56k, that is disappointing. I have read conflicting things about this. So what about offline use? I prefer to do that and enter everything manually, does Quicken work offline? From what you say I guess I need to maintain the subscription but how would Quicken know if I was using a computer not connected to the internet?
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    In order to do anything with investing accounts you need Deluxe or higher.

In order to download transactions you need an active subscription. After your subscription expires you can update transactions manually if you have Deluxe or higher. Starter becomes read-only when your subscription expires.

See this FAQ
    https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-subscription-membership-faqs
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jim__H said:
     ... but how would Quicken know if I was using a computer not connected to the internet?
    It would be pretty simple to maintain the expiration date "locally" and after that future date happens, to restrict and inhibit ALL manual transactions...

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Jim__H
    Jim__H Member
    Reading those FAQs it says that Quicken continues to be a desktop program. If I need to upgrade to Deluxe that would not be a big deal as long as I can continue to enter transactions and use it offline. Thanks for the input guys.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jim__H said:
    ... I have read conflicting things about this. ...
    I am not aware of conflicting information about investments and the Starter package.  Everything I recall seeing about Starter says rather clearly that it does not support investments.  Deluxe vs Premier - I would agree there has been some conflicting information. 
  • Jim__H
    Jim__H Member
    I think that was more about using Quicken offline than the investment capabilities of Starter vs Deluxe and it was on some other message board.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    q_lurker said:
    Jim__H said:
    ... I have read conflicting things about this. ...
      Deluxe vs Premier - I would agree there has been some conflicting information. 
    It depends upon how you interpret the "compare" matrix on the Quicken website.
    I happen to have Deluxe and it does everything I need for Investments.
    I use it to track .... Ally, Chase, PNC, BoA, - Schwab, Fidelity, TRowe, Vanguard...
    What the Premiere version offers, is strictly more "reporting" - and does nothing to add anything about access, downloading, cost basis, returns, tracking, etc - essentially, all the data that is needed to work with Investments is avail with Deluxe...

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Jim__H
    Jim__H Member
    Ok I might be a bit miffed, went to upgrade from Starter to Deluxe and it looks like I will get charged the full 50 bucks. I just paid $35 for Starter, one would think I should not have to pay the full amount. Anyone know about this, is there a way I can take it up with the Master?
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    contact Quicken Support -
    ALSO ----
    Limited time offer of 40% off the list price applies only to the purchase of Quicken Deluxe, Premier, Home, Business & Rental Property for the first year only when you order directly from Quicken by March 17, 2020, 11:59 PM PST. Offer good for new memberships only.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Jim__H
    Jim__H Member
    Waiting for an agent on the chat line
  • Jim__H
    Jim__H Member
    I have to petition for the credit through a refund request
This discussion has been closed.