How can I fix up messed-up categories after latest upgrade? (Q Mac)

Jaybar
Jaybar Member ✭✭
edited March 2020 in Reports (Mac)
Hi

After the latest upgrade I now have categories with long strings of numbers that are hard to use. They mess up my category summary report and some are new. How can I revert to the way it was before regarding categories? Is this a bug in the category summary report that causes this?

Answers

• Mac1999
    Mac1999 Member ✭✭
    Same problem here
  • Jaybar
    Jaybar Member ✭✭
    How do I fix it?
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your question, although I apologize that you haven't received a response.

If you are still needing assistance and haven't done so already, I would start by restoring a backup file saved prior to the update. For steps and information on restoring a back up please take a moment to review the steps and information available here.

Let me know how it goes!
    ~~~***~~~
  • Jaybar
    Jaybar Member ✭✭
    @ Quicken-Tyra

I only store 5 backups and all are after the upgrade. Any idea how to correct the problem without a. Backup?
  • Mac1999
    Mac1999 Member ✭✭
    What I found is the following: I had just upgraded to 5.15.1, and I had also turned on the preference allowing Quicken Mobile. I don't know if either of these matter. The long number strings in my category fields were "master" categories - my subcategories were still there. The subcategories that were grouped under the new long-number-string master categories were ones where the categories were nested three deep, such as "Property:Utilities:Gas" The "Utilities" subcategory still existed under "Property", but had nothing in it. The "Gas" (other utilities subcategories) were in another place, all subcategories of a new master category with a lot of numbers. It is as if Quicken decided I shouldn't nest categories more than two deep. Because this only affected about twenty category groupings, I just went in and changed it all back manually. I have increased the number of backups I keep from 5 to 20, for the time being in case the problem repeats.
  • Jaybar
    Jaybar Member ✭✭
    No matter what I have done so far has not helped. Any suggestions?
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Jaybar

If you are still needing assistance with this issue and do not have a backup available form prior to the update, the only option would be to edit the categories.

To navigate to the Categories list in Quicken, please go to Window > Categories.

Let me know how it goes!
    ~~~***~~~
  • Jaybar
    Jaybar Member ✭✭
    Tyka

When was the update that changed stuff?
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Jaybar,

The recent update 5.15.1 was staged and rolled out at different times throughout this month.

The documentation on the release notes, only provides that it was released in March.

https://www.quicken.com/support/subscription-release-quicken-mac-release-notes

If you navigate to File > Show Backups in Finder.

In the Automatic Backups Folder, you may be able to locate one that is labeled (Pre-Update) as shown below.

I hope this helps!
    ~~~***~~~
  • Jaybar
    Jaybar Member ✭✭
    Tyka

This did not help. I still have those numeric category headings.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Jaybar

Thank you for the response, although I am sorry to hear that the trouble continues to persist.

At this time I would recommend contacting support directly for advanced troubleshooting steps.

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

Quicken Care has the ability to initiate a screen share to view the issue in real-time to review and research this further.

Thank you,

~~~***~~~
  • Jaybar
    Jaybar Member ✭✭
    Tyka

I took your advice and called tech support. The file was very large and proved to be corrupt. Nothing that the tech suggested worked. I had to set up as a new installation and just download recent transactions. Just for 2020. Thanks for your support. The tech was reality great.
This discussion has been closed.