Shares total removed after sell transaction

Options
The number of shares in a mutual fund on 1/8/19 was 1.223.443 with avg cost, cost basis, and market value having entries. After a sell transaction on 1/9/2019 for 290.613 shares the number of shares dropped to 932.83, avg cost is empty, cost basis is 0, market value appears correct. I have deleted the sell transaction and everything reappears, but when I reenter the sale transaction it again goes as described above.

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It would seem that the only way that could happen is if the cost basis used for that sale is the same as the cost basis for all the stock owned on 1/8/19.  Is that's what happening?  Or is the cost basis your seeing for the sale 290.613 x (avg. cost)?
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I suspect you have a placeholder involved -- effectively shares owned with no cost established.  

Under Edit / Preferences / Investment Transactions -- make sure Show hidden transactions is checked.

In your account register, look at the bottom for Placeholder entries or look for an Adjust Share Balance transaction.    

The Adjust Share Balance transaction may also show up in the detail view for that security.