Unable to upgrade Q Mac Deluxe 2017 with active subscription

jpomerantz
jpomerantz Member ✭✭
I have Quicken for Mac Deluxe 2017 and the messaging says I will be unable to download acct info after April but when I go to upgrade it will not let me saying my subscription is goof to September. That is not acceptable if it will stop downloads 5m before my subscription runs out. What can I do??

Best Answer

• jpomerantz
    jpomerantz Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Chat was totally useless. Called in and got a guy who figured it out. I just needed to sign out and in again which makes no sense to me but worked.

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Is it possible that you already subscribed to QM2020? That's what it sounds like. 

To check, go to Quicken.com and sign in. Go to My Account. If you are subscribed, you should see it toward the bottom as well as a link to download the current version:

If that's the case, then download the app, open it, and choose Start with Quicken 2017 File from the startup menu.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jpomerantz
    jpomerantz Member ✭✭
    I am not. My last subscription is what I am running Q Mac 2017. That is why I am asking
  • jpomerantz
    jpomerantz Member ✭✭
    What I did see is that it still has me in QW Windows active which I have not used for several yrs. I need to cancel that and see what happens.
  • jpomerantz
    jpomerantz Member ✭✭
    I am not sure how to cancel the Q Win subscription so I can upgrade Q Mac.
  • RickO
    Since 2018, the subscription version includes both Windows and Mac versions for one price. Can you post a screenshot of the message that says it won't let you upgrade? Did you try to just purchase a subscription separately?

BTW, it's a good idea to check around. There are often deals from third parties on 1 or 2 year subscriptions at better price than directly from Quicken, even with an upgrade pricing.
  • jpomerantz
    jpomerantz Member ✭✭
    Sure. I tried to upgrade from the window that opened up - not a separate subscription. I agree with the pricing piece too. Here are the screen shots.
  • jpomerantz
    jpomerantz Member ✭✭
    Also when I try to buy separately it wont let me due to the subscription. What would happen if I buy new the version on Amazon rather than through the Quicken site and then try to install?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you post a screen capture of the My Account page on quicken.com like @RickO did above?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    So just to clarify… Quicken 2017 is not a subscription product. That is, it was released before Quicken switched to the subscription pricing/operating model the following year. Quicken 2017 will cease being a supported product -- meaning online downloads will cease, along with upgrade and support -- on April 30. You can still run Quicken 2017 after April 30, but only entering data manually. And it will continue to "remind" you to upgrade to a subscription (even if you actually have one).

And it appears you do have a subscription valid through November. It's completely separate from your Quicken 2017. And as noted above, subscriptions are cross-platform, allowing you to download both Mac and Windows applications.  So if you log into Quicken.com, as RickO showed in the screenshot above, you can click Download for Mac, and this will download the current subscription version (aka Quicken 2020) of Quicken Mac. You can install this on your Mac without it affecting Quicken 2017. I have both on my computer.

When you launch Quicken 2020, follow the prompts to start from your Quicken 2017 data file, and it will make a copy (so your Quicken 2017 data file remains untouched) and update the data to the current format. (You can later delete Quicken 2017 data and the application if you want, but there is no rush to do so.) And prior to November 25, you will need to purchase a new subscription if you want to continue having access to Quicken downloads.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jpomerantz
    jpomerantz Member ✭✭
    AH!! Perfect - thanks. That was what I was missing.
  • jpomerantz
    jpomerantz Member ✭✭
    Well.....downloaded Quicken.dmg and when I go to install i get a message saying I do not have an active subscription! See screen shot
  • RickO
    Strange. Are you sure you are logged in with the same credentials on both the website and when installing Quicken? If so, you may need to contact support.
  • jpomerantz
    jpomerantz Member ✭✭
    I am - yeah. Will try support.......
  • jpomerantz
    jpomerantz Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Chat was totally useless. Called in and got a guy who figured it out. I just needed to sign out and in again which makes no sense to me but worked.
This discussion has been closed.