Unlink Accounts

Using 2017 Rental Property Manager. How to UNLINK checking and savings accounts so entries in one account doesn't affect the other account. I can't stand this feature.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    IF you're doing a transfer between those 2 accounts,the entry in the 1st account will ALWAYS show in the other.  That's how transfers work.
    SO, what are you using in the Category field of one of these transactions? A picture would be helpful.
    Also, what Q product are you running and what BUILD of that product?  Do HELP, About Quicken for this info.  AND, if it's present, what's your "Valid Thru" date?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• AEW
    AEW Member
    I prefer to enter transactions into each account...separately...but there seems to be no override to turn this feature off. So I'm going to rename the "transfer" to something else and create a different category name to bypass this feature. I can't stand it being automatic. Thanks for your help but the additional Qs you ask are really not necessary to answer the question since this seems to be a feature across the board with Q. Just give us the option to turn it off. Thx.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're certainly allowed to use any method that you want.
    BUT, using transfers (where appropriate) is MUCH less error prone that what you use.  It's all too likely that you're going to miss (or accidentally delete) one side of the 2 and thus your accounts will start to go out of balance.

• AEW
    AEW Member
    Not my accounts, they balance to the penny. I find that the automatic transfer does the opposite of what you suggest, which is why I can't stand that feature and want the option to turn it off. Thanks for your response.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Opposite in what way?  A Debit (reduction of amount) transaction in one account is transferred to another account as a Credit (increase of amount).
    E.G., you write a check (debit) and deposit it into your savings account (credit).  Exactly how it's SUPPOSED to work.

• AEW
    AEW Member
    You suggested it was more accurate. I find it is not because when I edit one transaction I find that I lose data in the corresponding transaction. For example, I enter the Bank Reference # for each transaction. If I edit one transaction, I find the Bank Ref# disappears completely in the corresponding transaction so then I have to go back and re-enter. Time consuming. Frustrating. I found a work-around that suits me since this seems to be something Q is tenacious about keeping as they offer no turn-off option. I use "TXFR" and then I DON'T specify an account (which then puts it in brackets so you know it's the transfer acct)...I give it a new category name that makes sense to me. Problem solved. Thanks for replying. Have a good day.
This discussion has been closed.