Quicken 2017 Discontinuation [edited]

johnpeck
johnpeck Member
[removed - off-topic]

I have a complaint about the recent popup notice I recently received in my Quicken 2017 product. The notice said all downloads would be disabled after April 30, unless I upgraded to the Subscription program. I consider this to be a breach of contract by Quicken since they have apparently installed a "Time Bomb" in my Quicken 2017 program that disables functions in the program I licensed without my knowledge or consent! None of the materials I received when I purchased my Quicken 2017 license mentioned the "Time Bomb!"

[removed - disruptive/violation of community guidelines]

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken has always ceased support for product after 3 years. 
    It was disclosed in the EULA you read and agreed to when you installed the product.

• johnpeck
    johnpeck Member
    I have read the EULA and it says the product support could be discontinued after 3 years but it didn't say product features would be removed through use of a "time bomb".

I would be perfectly happy to continue using Quicken 2017 without future updates and support and with the same functionality I purchased the original product. Why not comply with your EULA?
  • johnpeck
    johnpeck Member
    edited March 2020
    [removed - disruptive/violation of community guidelines]
  • johnpeck
    johnpeck Member
    Here are three quotes from the 2017 Quicken EULA:

"We reserve the right to change this Agreement at any time, and the changes will be effective when posted on our website for the Software or when we notify you by other means."

This is clearly invalid since any agreement may only be changed by all
    parties to the agreement! What if Quicken changed the agreement to
    say they can put a virus into your system without your consent!
    That would be absurd.

"The Software may periodically be updated with tools, utilities, improvements, third party applications, or general updates to improve the Software. You agree to receive these updates"

I doubt that a court of law would agree that removing the ability to
    download transactions from my bank would be considered an
    improvement to the software!

"We reserve the right to modify or discontinue the supported versions, services, or program features if necessary due to changes in hardware or software that our products run on, or for other reasons"

Since my 2017 Quicken program runs on my hardware and Windows
    software, it is unnecessary to change the download feature for these
    reasons. The phrase "or for other reasons" would certainly be judged in
    a court of law to be inapplicable if the "other reasons" were to increase
    revenues for the Quicken company by forcing users to subscribe to their
    new service!
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once again you did not thoroughly read the EULA, see section B.5, shown below.  The link in that section goes into great detail on the topic.
    HINT: Downloading is a Quicken Online Feature

5. QUICKEN DISCONTINUATION POLICY AND TERMINATION OF SUPPORT

In addition to being governed by this Agreement, access and use of the Quicken Software, Quicken Online Features, and Ancillary Services are in all cases subject to Quicken's discontinuation policy. To the maximum extent permitted under applicable law, Quicken reserves the right to discontinue all support for the Quicken Software, Quicken Online Features, and Ancillary Services, any of their discrete features, or any other features, online and other services or content accessible through the Quicken Software, Quicken Online Features, and Ancillary Services, at any time and for any reason.

Subject to the foregoing, Quicken expects to provide support through April 30, 2020 for the current version of the Quicken Software and certain features accessible through the current version of the Quicken Software. We reserve the right to modify or discontinue the supported versions, services, or program features if necessary due to changes in hardware or software that our products run on, or for other reasons.  More information about QuickenÕs discontinuation policy is available at https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-discontinuation-policy.

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • johnpeck
    johnpeck Member
    Once again YOU did not thoroughly read the EULA for Quicken 2017 since you are quoting from a different EULA. The Quicken 2017 EULA is at:

https://www.quicken.com/support/eula/quicken-2017

My quotes and replies are from the EULA that was in effect when I purchased the license to my product.
  • Greg_the_Geek

5. QUICKEN DISCONTINUATION POLICY AND TERMINATION OF SUPPORT

In addition to being governed by this Agreement, access and use of the Quicken Software, Quicken Online Features, and Ancillary Services are in all cases subject to Quicken's discontinuation policy. To the maximum extent permitted under applicable law, Quicken reserves the right to discontinue all support for the Quicken Software, Quicken Online Features, and Ancillary Services, any of their discrete features, or any other features, online and other services or content accessible through the Quicken Software, Quicken Online Features, and Ancillary Services, at any time and for any reason.

Subject to the foregoing, Quicken expects to provide support through April 30, 2020 for the current version of the Quicken Software and certain features accessible through the current version of the Quicken Software. We reserve the right to modify or discontinue the supported versions, services, or program features if necessary due to changes in hardware or software that our products run on, or for other reasons.  More information about QuickenÕs discontinuation policy is available at https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-discontinuation-policy.

Copied from https://www.quicken.com/support/eula/quicken-2017.

• johnpeck
    johnpeck Member
    The relevant statement in your last reply:

"We reserve the right to modify or discontinue the supported versions, services, or program features if necessary due to changes in hardware or software that our products run on, or for other reasons. "

Is exactly what I quoted in my earlier posting. My answer to the statement is in that posting. Read it.
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello All,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding the upcoming discontinuation of Quicken 2017.

This post has become argumentative and is being closed.

Quicken Sarah
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Good luck suing for breach of contract.
This discussion has been closed.