I bought Quicken Deluxe 2017 when I retired after having used Home and Business 2017 for years.

Options
I was then told (after paying a non-refundable $55 for Quicken 2017) that I couldn't download data from Quicken Home and Business. Is that still correct? I guess I can start my Deluxe 2017 from scratch but it would be a terrible effort that I would prefer not to attempt. Can you help me?

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020 Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi again @tahoetess,

Not sure why somebody told you that - you should be able to use the data file you used for 2017 H&B with Deluxe.

You just need to install the Deluxe program and then when the new program opens - Click on the "File" drop down > Select "Open Quicken file" > then just highlight your old Quicken data file (".QFD" file) and hit enter.

That should do it - let us know if you have any follow-ups.

BTW - you should understand that all Quicken 2017 versions will no longer support downloads starting 5/1/20 - so if you still want to download from your financial institutions going forward - you'll need to sign-up for a subscription.  There's more information on that here: https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-discontinuation-policy

Good luck
    Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @tahoetess,

I'd like to make sure that I understand, so I need the answers to some questions.

It sounds like you've been using Q Home & Business ("H&B") for some time now - is that right?
    Did you recently buy Q Deluxe because you no longer need the H&B features?  Who did you buy it from and when (need a date)? 
    When you say "I couldn't download data from Quicken Home and Business" - do you understand that to mean that you can not use any of the data you previously enterred into the H&B application?  And who told you that?

Get back to us and we'll see if we can figure this out for you.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• tahoetess
    tahoetess Member
    Options
    Thanks for answering, Frankx. Yes, I started my business in 2001 with Home and Business and have upgraded thru out the years to 2017. I retired in 2007 and didn't need the business portion, and since Turbo Tax and upgrades for Home and Business was so much more expensive than for a less advanced program, I purchased Deluxe 2017 from Sams Club. They said that they couldn't take it back even if it hadn't been opened. Store policy. I chatted with someone from Quicken before Intuit took over (I think) and was told that they couldn't go from the more advanced program to a simpler program and that my data would still be visible on my computer in Home & Business but that I'd have to start fresh with Deluxe 2017 with only current balances, etc. But I have payees (credit card companies, utilities, banks, etc.) that I don't want to have to re enter along with other account info.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    tahoetess said:  I chatted with someone from Quicken before Intuit took over (I think) and was told that they couldn't go from the more advanced program to a simpler program and that my data would still be visible on my computer in Home & Business but that I'd have to start fresh with Deluxe 2017 with only current balances, etc. But I have payees (credit card companies, utilities, banks, etc.) that I don't want to have to re enter along with other account info.
    Not quite true....
    all of your data is there in the Quicken QDF file, but the HB version adds more of the "reporting" type features, and different ways to "view" your data.
    With the downgrade to Quicken Deluxe, all your data is still there... just not the extra HB features...

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020 Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi again @tahoetess,

Not sure why somebody told you that - you should be able to use the data file you used for 2017 H&B with Deluxe.

You just need to install the Deluxe program and then when the new program opens - Click on the "File" drop down > Select "Open Quicken file" > then just highlight your old Quicken data file (".QFD" file) and hit enter.

That should do it - let us know if you have any follow-ups.

BTW - you should understand that all Quicken 2017 versions will no longer support downloads starting 5/1/20 - so if you still want to download from your financial institutions going forward - you'll need to sign-up for a subscription.  There's more information on that here: https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-discontinuation-policy

Good luck
    Frankx

• lsulli
    lsulli Member
    Options
    Hi Frankx,
    I have 2017 Home & Business as well and am considering downgrading to 2020 Deluxe or Premier editions to save money with the forced subscription model. My question is whether categories that are considered "Business income and/or expense" categories will show up in the Deluxe or Premier Quicken data after conversion. I would still need access to the data and reports which I created over the past 15 years - really basic income and expense reports for my son's landscaping and computer businesses.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ALL of your data from H&B will be in Deluxe.  Period.
    The H&B specific accounts will become regular Q Asset and Liability accounts.
    Your categories will all come over.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    HI @Isulli,

If you downgrade your "categories that are considered "Business income and/or expense" categories will show up in either Deluxe or Premier.  As far as the reports you've developed - any business reports that you have saved in H&B will be available to you going forward in either Deluxe or Premier.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Take care & stay safe!

Frankx

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm using Premier.  For Business categories to show up as business you just need to assign them to a schedule C tax line item which they probably already are.  

To check the tax line assignment open the Category list by either clicking on the Category Icon or go to Tools-Category List or Ctrl+Shift+C.  Then select the category and right click on it to Edit it.  Click on the Tax Reporting Tab and check the box for Tax related and pick a Schedule C: tax line item.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

This discussion has been closed.