I am reconciling my CC. I clear 57 items and get a total that does not match the cleared balance

I reconcile my accounts every month. I have carefully checked and rechecked the balances I entered to start the reconcile process. I have updated the program and closed and reopened the program to no avail.

Best Answer

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Carl Smith,

If you provide some additional information, it will help us to understand the issues you are having - see this link https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7307115/add-your-quicken-information-to-your-posts-plus-how-you-are-connected-to-the-internet

A few additional questions:
    1) Is the balance due on the cc statement larger or smaller than the balance due as shown in Quicken? 
    2) Since the account apparently reconciled at the end of last month, can you scan the entries downloaded during the month to make sure there are no duplicate entries? 
    3) Are you sure that you are reconciling to the same date?

Get back to me and we'll see if we can get things straightened out.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Carl Smith
    Carl Smith Member ✭✭
    The balance due on the statement matches the amount of cleared items shown at the bottom of the list of charges. It also matches the statement ending balance on the right side of the reconcile window. What is does not match is the "cleared Balance" listed immediately above the Statement Balance on the right side of the reconcile window.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay.  On the first page of the "Reconcile Online Account" pop-up - are you reconciling to "paper statement" or "online balance"?

Also on the second page - is the difference a positive or negative number?

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Carl Smith
    Carl Smith Member ✭✭
    I am reconciling a paper statement. I do not download purchases, I enter them manually as I incur them. So, I type in the fields in the first window of the reconcile process which has the fields: Charges, Payments, Ending Balance, date of statement.
  • Carl Smith
    Carl Smith Member ✭✭
    Also, the difference is a negative number.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on what you've told me so far, there seems to be a problem with either:

a) the Payments section on the 2nd page of the reconciliation, or
    b) the information you entered on the first page of the reconciliation.

For item a) above - you should check to make sure that the payment you recorded in Quicken agrees with the payment on the credit card statement, and you should look for credits (e,g, - for items you purchases and then returned to vendors), or other credit entries on the statement but not in Quicken.

For item b) above - double check the entries you made for: "Ending statement date", and  "Payments, credits:" - you may have missed something here.

Let me know how you make out.

Frankx

• eyouman
    eyouman Member ✭✭
    I have the same problem. 35 debits have been added by me with a calculator and they match the statement balance and, but the cleared balance is a different number. I reviewed the suggestions you gave to Carl. Any final solution yet?
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @eyouman,

I never heard back from Carl.  Is you problem also with a credit card account? Do you reconcile each month?  Do you download transactions or enter them manually?

Let me know.

Frankx

• eyouman
    eyouman Member ✭✭
    I do both. Yes, the problem is with a citibank cc account. I reconcile each month and it balanced last reconciliation.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I was able to connect with Carl.  Using the above advice, he was able to identify certain expenditures that were from a couple of months earlier that had been cleared but somehow became uncleared.  Once he checked them off again, the account reconciled.

You should probably double check whether this might be your problem as well.

Frankx

• eyouman
    eyouman Member ✭✭
    I just scrolled back 7 years and every entry which previously reconciled still has a R next to it. Any thoughts?
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the difference a positive or negative number?

Also double check that the information you entered on page 1 of the reconciliation (Charges, Payments, Ending Balance, date of statement.) are all correct.

• cyrus1
    cyrus1 Member ✭✭
    I have a reconciliation problem. I download and auto reconcile this checking acct daily using online balance. I balanced yesterday. Today I have a positive difference of 7212 dollars. There has been no change to the online balance. The register has over 2600 transactions for nearly ten years.
  • eyouman
    eyouman Member ✭✭
    It is a negative number. All the information on page 1 of the reconciliation is correct and matches my statement closing date and amounts.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    And what is the "out of balance" amount?

• eyouman
    eyouman Member ✭✭
    Not at the computer all the time. The out of balance amount is $1700.75.
  • eyouman
    eyouman Member ✭✭
    Just went back to review the reconciliation and the out of balance number changed from yesterday. It is now $1837.19. What??
This discussion has been closed.