my security dropdown asking for the password dissappeared

When I open quicken, there's no security dropdown requesting a password

What happpened?

Comments

• Quicken Hugh
    Quicken Hugh Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello polnius,
    Although your inquiry is a bit unclear, I understand what you've written to mean that you expect to see a data file password required to access a particular data file. In that case, please see this article for a full description for add/removing file passwords.

Or, if you will please, tell us more about your exact situation so that we might better help you. (Are you using Quicken US or CAN? WIN - Starter/Deluxe/Premier or Home & Business? What version/release/build are you using? And please describe exactly what steps you took to reach the point where you reach an unexpected result.)

As to your second question, "(How)[redacted] does this [redacted] thing work?" Quicken has multiple help options available.
    • The tab titled "Tips & Tutorials" (which by default shows on the far right side of your screen in the colored band across the top) is a great place to begin learning about how Quicken works.
    • Alternatively, if you click on the text word "Help" (at the top, toward the left of your screen); that opens  a drop-down menu; click "Quicken Help" or click the F1 key on your keyboard when the Quicken software is open.
    • Or go Quicken.com > Support > Learn & Support, or go directly to https://www.quicken.com/support#windows. There are literally thousands of articles available to help you.
    • As you already know, the Community is a great place to ask questions and learn more.
    • We also have a number of videos available on YouTube.com in the Quicken channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Quicken
    Also, you are always welcome to contact support directly for help.

Sorry, Quicken is not always an intuitively obvious software to use, but on the other hand, the software can handle an enormous number of situations. We acknowledge there can be a steep learning curve, and this can be frustrating. But we are here to help you, in multiple different ways, use the software to your full and best advantage.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    To set a data file password: select File > Set Password for this data file...
  • polonius
    polonius Member
    :s Where is the password menu??
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no "password menu".  The Password Vault can be found at TOOLS, Password Vault

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• polonius
    polonius Member
    I'm not sure at all how to use this.

When I click the quicken icon, I always had a drop down asking for the password so that I could open the software. That dropdown is no longer appearing, so anyone can just click the icon and get into my program.

How do I fix that - please?
  • polonius
    polonius Member
    What do I know, tthis is not my gig.

How do I get the window that requests a password to open the software?

Anyon just has to clik the icon, and the system opens.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like your talking about a Data File Password.  How it got removed is anyone's guess ... but it can be re-established by doing FILE, Set Password for this data file.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    polonius said:
    :s Where is the password menu??

This discussion has been closed.