Restricted Stock units (RSU) are not showing as Income

How to make sure my RSUs show as income in Tax Planner or income report?

Here's how I am currently tracking them.
I enter my RSUs transaction as "Add - Shares added" when it vests under the investment account. I also add tax entries by selling a few shares on same date as separate entries under the same investment account.

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    One way around this, inelegant but it works, is to set up the grant as a NQSO with an option price of $.000001.  Then you exercise the grant on the date the RSUs vest and Quicken creates a compensation figure using the Category _ImpStkOpInc.  That works to get the income to show up on a Spending report.
    At the time you set up the RSUs in this manner you simply also enter an "Exercise" action on the future vesting date.  I'd expect the Tax Planner would pick this up, though I haven't tried it.
    That $.000001 exercise price is so small that until you get a grant of 10.000 shares or more there will be no "cash" effect in the Account. 
  • Ajay
    Ajay Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks @Tom Young , I like your suggestion from other post (link below), so here's how I did it

1. In my investment account whenever I get RSU rewarded by my employer I make an entry of all future vests with $0 price and respective dates.
    2. At the time of vesting, I make a cash deposit entry in the same account of reward RSU with the category "RSU compensation"
    3. Then I add a buy entry for RSUs with that amount
    4. Then I sell some stock for tax payment (Specified in the statement from employer)

After doing the above steps, my W2 wages match from end of year Quicken data and also shows up in Quicken Tax Planner

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7150661/how-to-handle-restricted-stock-units-in-quicken

Regards,
    Ajay
  • Ajay
    Ajay Member ✭✭✭
    @Tom Young , do you see any side effects of using this way?
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I'm not sure what this one:
    "1. In my investment account whenever I get RSU rewarded by my employer I make an entry of all future vests with $0 price and respective dates."
    actually entails as far as "accounting" goes.  Steps 2 - 4 pretty much cover the waterfront as far as dollar amountsso I'm not clear on what step 1 is actually doing.  If the entry is a simple "Reminder Transaction" just to keep track of outstanding grants, then that makes sense.

• Ajay
    Ajay Member ✭✭✭
    @Tom Young , that right point "1" is for tracking and reminder.
This discussion has been closed.