Wrong numbers

What's with this??
WRONG NUMBERS !!!
Been using this software for 20 years and there's nothing else like it.

Best Answer

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Do you really have transactions without a Payee Name?
    AFAIK, this shouldn't be possible.
    It makes me think that your Quicken data file is damaged.

If you haven't rebooted Windows since you installed the latest software update, please do so now and then try Quicken again.

Still not working?

Let's try some "Troubleshooting 101" to ensure the Quicken software is installed and updated properly and that your data file is in good working order.
    Please perform all the steps in this document in the order specified:
    Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Do you really have transactions without a Payee Name?
    AFAIK, this shouldn't be possible.
    It makes me think that your Quicken data file is damaged.

If you haven't rebooted Windows since you installed the latest software update, please do so now and then try Quicken again.

Still not working?

Let's try some "Troubleshooting 101" to ensure the Quicken software is installed and updated properly and that your data file is in good working order.
    Please perform all the steps in this document in the order specified:
    Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems

• I fixed it using a Validate File and restart Quicken. Fine. But it shouldn't be possible in the first place that the calculated balance is incorrect!!

P.S. Payee has nothing to do with it; that is not a required field.
  • And what is this as well??
    MORE WRONG NUMBERS !!!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    But it shouldn't be possible in the first place that the calculated balance is incorrect!!
    When dealing with "corrupted data" anything is possible.  It is one reasons hackers purposely try to give programs bad data to see if they will do something that they can use to their advantage.

All programs work in the domain of "what the programmer expected".  When the input is something the programmer didn't count on, all kinds of strange things can happen.

Also note that validate works in the same "domain" it can only catch/fix what the programmer thought of, and that "fix" might be to get rid of some inconsistent data, which may or may not result lost data for the user.

What you are looking at in a register is a "representative view" of the actual data being worked on in the background.  There is no telling what data you aren't seeing in such calculations.  A computer will not make a mistake on calculating a set of numbers, but there isn't anything stopping the program from picking the wrong set of numbers to calculate.

I hate to say it, but given what you are showing, your data file is very corrupted.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Yeah, except my file is not corrupted. If my file were corrupted, then exiting and re-entering Quicken by itself would not fix the problem (which it did, tried it on the second time the error occurred). As well, Validate would have found a problem, which it didn't (tried this on the first error).

In addition, there is no hacker accessing my computer, no power failure, and no disk error. So if there had been a corrupt file (which there wasn't) then it would have been due to a Quicken bug.

This is a bug in Quicken relating to it's in-memory calculation of the register balance.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭

And how do you explain the thousands of people that don't have this problem?

Even if your data files isn't "corrupted" there is something that is different about it that is causing problems.

Try a new data file, I would bet that you won't see it in there.  If you do then you are probably right that it is Quicken (the program), but most likely the problem has to do with a bad install instead of a program error or there would be tons more people reporting this problem.

Signature:
  • You think so? OK so here goes. I created a new file, added two accounts one checking account and one credit card, selecting to use manual data entry. I entered a transaction in the checking account Feb 15 with no category. Then I entered transactions before and after that date in the credit card register, with categories (actually one without). The balances showed correctly. Then I selected the checking account and set the category on the transaction to be the credit card account. Then switching back to the credit card account and voila, WRONG NUMBERS!!! WHY!? Because it's a bug, notwithstanding the fact that this software has been around for like 30 years. Take a look.
    This is Quicken Home & Business for Canada, build 27.1.12.8.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

May I ask why you're two years behind on software maintenance?
    To install the latest version, please download and install  2020 Release R 25.22 from https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-mondo-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product
    making sure to select the Canadian version's file.

• Yeah, well, it takes a slightly different sequence in the newer version (2019 R 25.22 for Canada) but basically it's still wrong. See attached, note $3,000 is missing from the credit card account. In other words, more wrong numbers !!!
  • P.S. Maybe that one is wrong for a different reason :-)
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    reviewalotsky said:
    You think so? OK so here goes. I created a new file, added two accounts one checking account and one credit card, selecting to use manual data entry. I entered a transaction in the checking account Feb 15 with no category. Then I entered transactions before and after that date in the credit card register, with categories (actually one without). The balances showed correctly. Then I selected the checking account and set the category on the transaction to be the credit card account. Then switching back to the credit card account and voila, WRONG NUMBERS!!! WHY!? Because it's a bug, notwithstanding the fact that this software has been around for like 30 years. Take a look.
    OK I admit it, I was wrong, that definitely looks like a bug of some kind.  BTW knowing that it is the Canadian version does sort of explain part of the reason there aren't more people with the problem since the are far fewer Canadian users than US ones.

But you were not using the latest version, so the that problem might have been fixed in the later releases.

Yeah, well, it takes a slightly different sequence in the newer version (2019 R 25.22 for Canada) but basically it's still wrong. See attached, note $3,000 is missing from the credit card account. In other words, more wrong numbers !!!

In this screenshot I notice that the balance in the checking account for the 3/22/2020 transaction is blank.  Has that transaction been saved?  If not that would be would be why it doesn't show up either there in the balance or in your credit card account.  Like here I have entered the values, but I have yet to save the transaction, and then I clicked on the transaction above it to select it (the transaction isn't yet entered into the register):

Signature:
  • OK! Seems weird that I can look at another register while the first one contains an unsaved transaction. Maybe it is to enable copying and pasting. But it also means that if move out of a transaction by anything other than <return> then the result is quite different than if I use <return>. P.S. my computer does not make sound.
This discussion has been closed.