I am renting a solar panel system

Options
Can I deduct the monthly rental from my taxes under the green usage

Comments

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @Parebel,

While there are a lot of folks on here who play a tax expert on TV, we don't actually focus on giving out tax opinions. ;)

You really need to ask a CPA about this.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    While, in general, I agree with @Frankx's reply ... you might also try asking this over in the TurboTax forum.
    It's possible that they'll have some ideas on this matter: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/home/misc/03/en-us

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Options
    This is a gray area. IRS is fuzzy on whether renting photovoltaic solar panels qualifies. The credit has expired, but may have been renewed. So you'll have to do some research. One thing is certain: you have to have installed the panels. If you moved into a house with existing panels and assumed the rental, you do not qualify for the credit. Only the person(s) who actually installed the panels qualify.
    Look up the instructions for Form 5695 and see whether you can make any sense of them.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

This discussion has been closed.