How should I categorize "owner's contributions" to my business?

I track my business in a separate accounting software. However, 'owner's contributions' that come out of my personal bank acc't show up in Quicken.

How would I categorize these Transfers since my business is not tracked in Quicken?
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    How is your business structured?  Does it file its own tax return like a 1065 or 1120?  Or do you file it in your personal return on schedule C?

You can set up any category you want for it.  It might even be like an investment account.  Don't know if you should add an Asset account for it or just a plain expense category.  Depends if or how you want to track it.  Will you need to enter it on your tax return?

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• majesticoj
    majesticoj Member ✭✭
    Thank you for the response!

I have an LLC and its taxed as a sole proprietorship (if that makes sense). Yes, my business files its own returns. All of the profits, however, "flow thru" to my personal returns.

My accountant will be able to view these "contributions" on the business side and they will be considered on my businesses returns... I guess I just never thought about the tax implications on the my personal returns. I don't know how 'owner's contributions' are treated on personal returns...

And I guess I'm not sure how I want to view these contributions on my budget. The best I can come up with is just categorizing it as an expense on the personal end (Quicken).
This discussion has been closed.