When a tenant's lease expires, do I need to manually delete the monthly scheduled income task

Afraid I will lose any history. Assumed when the lease expired the scheduled task would have been removed.

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Removing a scheduled transaction/reminder absolutely does not affect any of your accounting history.  Quicken at its heart is an accounting program and having that program somehow affect historic entries would be a faux pas of epic proportions.
  • Mike Teegen
    Mike Teegen Member ✭✭
    Thanks Tom
  • Mike Teegen
    Mike Teegen Member ✭✭
    When I edit the scheduled transaction for the tenant that has left it brings me to the tenant that has left. There does not seem to be a way to show the unit as vacant. How can I show the unit as vacant and back to my original question, how can I remove the scheduled transaction of a tenant who has moved out?
  • Tom Young
    I don't use the Home & Business version of Quicken so I'm not sure exactly of its capabilities, in particular any "way to show the unit as vacant."  From the way you've put this I guess I have a mental picture that Quicken somehow - maybe a little red flag next to the asset's name or something? - can "tell" you "this unit is vacant."  If the H&B version has that capability I can't help you there.
    But I have to assume the basic "Manage Bill & Income Reminders" functionality can't really be all that different among the basic "flavors" of Quicken; the program can "remind" you upcoming events and even go so far as to make the associated accounting transaction for you.  So clicking Tools > Manage Bills & Income Reminder and then selecting the item you wish to delete, followed by clicking the word "Delete" in the upper left hand corner of the Bills and Income Reminders screen will simply eliminate that reminder, and that's all.  If you've set that reminder to make an accounting entry some number of days in advance then you'll have to go to the relevant Account and delete any 'future" entries that reminder has made. 

• Mike Teegen
    Mike Teegen Member ✭✭
    Hey Tom,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately there are appears to be ties between the rental unit and the scheduled transactions. When I added the new tenant in the rental property section it automatically created the scheduled transaction. When I click on "Edit this instance and all future instances" it brings me back to the tenant page not the scheduled transaction page. I am guessing when I fill the vacant unit it will replace the tenant that is displayed now but who knows for sure?

I have used Quicken for years but never taped into any support channel. Any suggestions on where I go from here?
  • Tom Young
    "When I click on "Edit this instance and all future instances" it brings me back to the tenant page not the scheduled transaction page. "
    I assume you're referring to the "Bill & Income Reminders" window that comes up when you click Tools > Manage Bills & Income Reminders.  You don't want to "edit" it, you want to "delete" it.  Have you tried that?  (Make a backup just to be safe.)
    I see Home & Business questions frequently don't get responses, probably because of the small population that has that product and even fewer that post here.  There's this
    that might provide some guidance.
    If you scroll down to the bottom of the page on the above link you can contact official Quicken support directly.
This discussion has been closed.