My credit card has started to subtract charges from the balance. Why?

My credit card has started to subtract charges from the balance. Why?

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please provide a more detailed explanation of what the issue is and which credit card it is.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Daniel Threlkel
    Daniel Threlkel Member ✭✭
    Don't know what more I can say. This is an AMEX card. It has now started to subtract charges from the balance, i.e. a $10 debit appears correctly but subtracts from the balance rather than increasing the balance.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What you are saying can be interpreted two different ways.  Both can be understood as increases.  Which of the following is your situation?:
    1)  Credit card balance was -$100, a new charge for $10, your new register balance is -$110.
    2)  Credit card balance was -$100, a new charge for $10, your new register balance is -$90.
    Also, confirm that you are filtering the transactions in your register by the Date column.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    First make sure you are sorted in Date order with the newest date at the bottom. If you are not then click the DATE Column heading to sort.

Sounds like you're running a credit balance. Is the balance in red or black? Look back through your transactions and maybe you'll spot one that was entered backward. Or a payment in the charge column or a charge in the payment column. Look around back where this first started happening.  Or maybe you are missing some charges? 

If the balance is in Black, it means you have a credit on the card.  Like if you overpaid the bill or got a refund for something you returned.   When you enter a charge it will reduce (decrease) the credit you have available on it.   And a payment will increase the balance.

Also make sure you have the right starting balance.  If it's zero you might need to add a beginning balance for when you started the account in Quicken.

The credit card balance you OWE should be in RED. If the balance is Black then it's showing the credit card company owes you and you have a credit balance. And then when you make a payment it's like the cc owes you more. So you need to go back though your entries and find where the balance switched to black to being in your favor.

See this for more info…..

Basically you can't change it.  The balance is what it is.  It's basic math.  If it's wrong you have to find out why.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

This discussion has been closed.