Automatic categorization when it shouldn't

On transaction download, a renaming rule changes the payee to "e-Transfer", as desired.

Quicken then assigns a category (".Operating:Uncategorized"), which is not desired. I want it to leave the category unassigned / blank.

There is no memorized payee named "e-Transfer". Why does it assign this category and how do I prevent it?

Preferences->Downloaded Transactions has "Automatically categorize transactions" selected and does NOT have "Automatically apply Quicken's suggested name to payee" selected.

This is Quicken H&B Canada 27.1.25.22

Best Answer

Answers

• Got it, thanks. For some reason I thought that "automatically categorize transactions" meant that it would automatically categorize the transactions based on the payee name.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Got it, thanks. For some reason I thought that "automatically categorize transactions" meant that it would automatically categorize the transactions based on the payee name.

Well it does actually mean that, but you have to understand that there is the "memorized payee" filling in of the category based on the payee (which is a different setting), and the one which is the "catch all" automatic guessing based on the payee if the it gets to this point.  Basically having this setting on for new users is pretty good, but after you have got your memorized payees all setup, it tends to just cause problems.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • reviewalotsky
    reviewalotsky Member
    OK so now the payee is "Shoppers Drug Mart0717" and the rule is "if Payee contains 'Shoppersdrugmart' OR if payee contains 'Shoppers Drug'".

It is not changing the payee name. Why not?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well the 'Shoppers Drug' one should certainly be changed.
    Are you sure you have this option on:
    Edit -> Preferences -> Downloaded transactions -> Use my existing renaming rules
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.