How do I get Quicken Mac to act like other apps when I close it with Red Close Button

Options
If I close one of my other app, the dot under it in the App Bar goes away and I can reopen it by clicking the Q icon in the App Bar. But if I minimize it using the Red Button, the dot stays there. Then later, when I click the Q icon in the App Bar, nothing happens. This drives me crazy. I have to right click and choose the open file. This is dumb and enfuriating.

Steve
MS Money/Quicken Classic since 1991
Quicken Simplifi since 2021

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited April 2020 Answer ✓
    Options
    @SRC1954  The three window buttons in macOS are for Close, Minimize, and Maximize. There are contextual wrinkles about how each may behave (e.g. the green button can maximize or go to full screen mode), but the red button means close window, not quit. For some applications which have only one window, clicking the red button will actually quit the application. But again, this is a macOS thing, not a Quicken issue. (And Apple applications sometimes deviate from Apple's own interface guidelines, for better or worse.)

In short, when you want to quit Quicken, get used to using Command-Q, which has been the macOS universal way of definitively quitting applications since the beginning of the Mac.

Typically on a Mac, if you want to get a window out of your view to do something else, you click the yellow button to minimize the window to the dock; clicking on the window in the dock brings it back. You only click close if you're really done with that window.

If you have closed all the Quicken Windows by clicking the red dot, the program is still running. Command-1 will re-open the main window, and then you can quit. Or you can select Quit from the Quicken menu, or Command-Q. Or you can Control-click on the Quicken icon in the dock, and select Quit from the pop-up menu. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    It is not a Quit button, but a close window button. This might appear odd at first if you are coming from the Windows world.

The program is following standard Mac UI rules: if the program allows for multiple windows to be open (which it can), then the red button simply closes that window and leaves the application running.  The only time will actually Quit is if the application only can present a single window.

That said, if you close the main window (via the red close button or command+w), then single clicking on the program's dock icon should reopen the main window. 
  • SRC1954
    SRC1954 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thank you for the explanation that it's not a Quit button. I had sort of figured that out. I quit the Windows world for good in October after previously going iPhone and iPad. It seems Mac has apps now and some of them work like apps on iPhone. For example, hitting the Red button does quit Twitter. But on native Mac apps, it doesn't. But Quicken doesn't work right.

When I close Quicken and reopen it, hitting the Red button doesn't quit it even if there is only one Window, which is what I try to keep because multiple windows are confusing and don't have the same interface or information. On top of that, after I "quit" Quicken a few times, it won't come back up by hitting the Quicken icon in the Dock. I have to either right click and choose the file or I have to right click and close Quicken and then restart it.

Steve

• SRC1954
    SRC1954 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    However, if I click on the Quicken icon in the dock, it will change the menu bar at the top to Quicken although it doesn't bring up the Window. This is different from all other applications I use on the Mac. Pages, WordPress, Safari. Thanks again for help.

Steve

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited April 2020 Answer ✓
    Options
    @SRC1954  The three window buttons in macOS are for Close, Minimize, and Maximize. There are contextual wrinkles about how each may behave (e.g. the green button can maximize or go to full screen mode), but the red button means close window, not quit. For some applications which have only one window, clicking the red button will actually quit the application. But again, this is a macOS thing, not a Quicken issue. (And Apple applications sometimes deviate from Apple's own interface guidelines, for better or worse.)

In short, when you want to quit Quicken, get used to using Command-Q, which has been the macOS universal way of definitively quitting applications since the beginning of the Mac.

Typically on a Mac, if you want to get a window out of your view to do something else, you click the yellow button to minimize the window to the dock; clicking on the window in the dock brings it back. You only click close if you're really done with that window.

If you have closed all the Quicken Windows by clicking the red dot, the program is still running. Command-1 will re-open the main window, and then you can quit. Or you can select Quit from the Quicken menu, or Command-Q. Or you can Control-click on the Quicken icon in the dock, and select Quit from the pop-up menu. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • SRC1954
    SRC1954 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks. This answered my question. I accidentally hit the wrong button though.

Steve

This discussion has been closed.