How to include bank CDs in asset allocation report

I have a bank Certificate of Deposit that I would like to include in my asset allocation report. It is listed in the "Banking" section of my account list. The Asset Allocation Report only seems to allow assets from the "Investing" and "Retirement" sections of the account list. How can I include my CD assets in this report?

Best Answers

Answers

• Thanks very much. Progress. I was able to categorize it as an Investment, and it is now selectable on the Accounts tab of the Asset Allocation Report. However, the money in the CD does not show up in the report. Is there something else I need to do?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm guessing ... if the savings account with your CD now shows in the Asset Allocation report, the amount of cash invested in CDs should show lumped in as "-Cash-" with all other cash balances in other investment accounts.
    The only workaround I can think of, if you wish to see all your CDs held in bank savings accounts individually, would be to create a manual investment account and then "Buy" securities, Type = CD, and transfer (internally in Quicken only) the purchase price from the CD savings account (so as not to bloat your net worth)
  • Thanks but the money from the CD does not appear in the report at all, even though it is selected in the Accounts tab of the Customize Asset Allocation window. Also, listed next to the CD on this page is "Bank" whereas my mutual funds are all listed as "Invest". On the separate register CTRL-SHFt-E sceen the Account Type is listed as "Savings". The Account Type for my mutual funds is listed as "Brokerage". it is not clear to me how one would change the Account Type.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't change account types.
    The Asset Allocation report works off of individual securities as recorded in investment accounts.
    What you see now, with the money held in savings accounts, is as good as it gets ... unless ... you follow my workaround advice and (within Quicken only) shift your money into CD securities held in a manual investment (brokerage) account. That will make the report show the CDs as proper investments.
  • Okay, thanks for your help. Will try the workaround and see how it looks.
  • Checking the "no security" box did the trick. Thanks to you both!
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Checking the "no security" box did the trick.
    Just following along on the topic.....
    - Moved a Bank CD over to the "Investment" display area.
    - Brought up the --> Reports --> Investing --> Asset Alocation
    - Made sure the "no security" was checkmarked
    -
    Don't see the bank CD listed in the text report,
    or reflected as part of any graph line item.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    ps56k said:
    Checking the "no security" box did the trick.
    Just following along on the topic.....
    - Moved a Bank CD over to the "Investment" display area.
    - Brought up the --> Reports --> Investing --> Asset Alocation
    - Made sure the "no security" was checkmarked
    -
    Don't see the bank CD listed in the text report,
    or reflected as part of any graph line item.

The bank CD should appear as Cash if you include the account in the report.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock said:  The bank CD should appear as Cash if you include the account in the report.
    yeah... tnx - it was there - just thought it might be possible to drill down and see the Cash components, but without the correct attributes, not really avail -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Yes, it shows up in the Cash amount. For me this was fine, since what I want is a summary by investment category, e.g. 50 / 50 bonds (&cash) / stocks.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Do you also have any mutual funds or ETFs ?
    If so, the "cash" will then be biased by the "asset mix" of those mutual funds or ETFs,
    and not actually reflect the usual liquidity of your banking "cash" - but of course would reflect any cash-like holdings such as bond funds or MM funds, etc

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Understood, thanks. The Asset Allocation report does list all the sources of the cash, e.g., this mutual fund or that.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes.... but the "Cash" line item has no further breakdown or detail...
    so the bank CDs are hidden inside that overall line item... along with other bits.
    It is interesting to go back to the Settings,
    and one by one UN-check the included Accounts - to see the effect on "Cash" -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.