Why does Quicken log into my checking account 5-6 times a day?

My credit union sends me an email whenever an attempt (successful or not) is made to log into my checking account. I get an email 5-6 times a day because Quicken keeps logging in. I know it's Quicken because, when I gave it the wrong password, the attempts were unsuccessful.

These emails are meant as an alert to warn me if someone is trying to break into my account. These logins by Quicken negate their usefulness.

Why does Quicken have to log in so many times?

Best Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020 Answer ✓
    If you are using cloud based app/web client, I believe that is the reason for multiple attempts. The online services are expected to be real-time and access frequently for updates and transaction activity.
    If you turn off cloud sync, it should eliminate the emails.

Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020 Answer ✓
    If you are using cloud based app/web client, I believe that is the reason for multiple attempts. The online services are expected to be real-time and access frequently for updates and transaction activity.
    If you turn off cloud sync, it should eliminate the emails.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    It is ironic that you will have some of the "cloud users" that will complain that Quicken isn't "real time" enough, and then you have the opposite point of view.  Personally I don't think Quicken should cater to the "real time" users, Quicken will never be that and shouldn't be used that way, but Quicken Inc/Intuit is put in the middle of that tug of war.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • PeteTheGolfer
    PeteTheGolfer Member ✭✭
    If I kept quicken up all day, I would probably want it to be updated in real time. I don't. I'm happy for it to update whenever I hit the "One Step Update" button.

GeoffG, if I turn off cloud sync, what else do I lose?
  • PeteTheGolfer
    PeteTheGolfer Member ✭✭
    Good point. So now I'm again wondering why Quicken does this more than once a day, other than investment accounts. Is there a way to ask Quicken to fix this?
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Fix what exactly? Are you using the web or mobile app? If so, that is what is causing. To fix, discontinue and disconnect their use.
    Alternatively, you could turn off the CU notifications if the web/mobile app is important to you as it provides the transaction activity as well.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    GeoffG said:
    Banks only provide cleared transactions, not pending. Investment prices will update however.

This isn't completely correct, at least in what it implies.  As in that the financial institutions only clear transactions once a day.  It depends on the financial institution/account types.  For instance PayPal and all my credit cards clear transactions continuously through the day.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • PeteTheGolfer
    PeteTheGolfer Member ✭✭
    GeoffG: I'm not using the web app. I have the mobile app installed, but I don't use that either. I don't want to turn off the CU notifications -- I want them to be useful.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    GeoffG: I'm not using the web app. I have the mobile app installed, but I don't use that either. I don't want to turn off the CU notifications -- I want them to be useful.
    If you have the mobile app installed and it is updating your account data, whether you plan on it or not, you are using the app!

• PeteTheGolfer
    PeteTheGolfer Member ✭✭
    OK, I deleted the app. I still got one message this morning, but that was the last one -- so far. I'll let you know tomorrow whether I get any more.

Thanks.
  • PeteTheGolfer
    PeteTheGolfer Member ✭✭
    I got two today -- one at 1:36 pm and one at 3:35 pm. This is fewer than I had been getting. I had not yet opened Quicken on my computer.

<sigh>
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you unchecked the cloud sync option under OSU settings?
  • PeteTheGolfer
    PeteTheGolfer Member ✭✭
    I did now.
  • PeteTheGolfer
    PeteTheGolfer Member ✭✭
    No more notifications, except when I actually access the account. Thanks GeoffG. Sorry it took so long for your advice to finally access my brain.
This discussion has been closed.