cannot delete transaction

Options
I noticed a previously reconciled account had an incorrect balance. I researched and found what was missing (a check I'd written over a year ago), and recreated that transaction.

While doing this I noticed a blank transaction with today's date at the top of this register.

I cannot delete this blank transaction, can't cut it, move it, fill it out and enter it, nothing. I'm unable to make this go away.

I've restarted Quicken, but this ghost transaction remains.

how do I make it go away?

Best Answer

• Chris29
    Chris29 Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    > @Boatnmaniac said:
    > @Chris - First, I suspect the reason why it's at the top of the register is that the register is set to filter the transactions so the newest date is at the top.  Click on the "Date" column header and that transaction should then show up at the bottom of the register.
    > Regarding the transaction itself:  Are any of the fields in that transaction (date, payee, category, etc.) editable?  If so, that is not a transaction.  It is just the placeholder for the next manual transaction to be entered.  The Quicken default is to show the current date there.

i appreciate the help, but no, my register is not set to put newest at top, it puts newest at bottom.

Yes, the fields are "editable", but the transaction is not saveable. I can't save the transaction after any changes to the fields.

I've used Quicken for 2 decades, so this isn't a 'newbie' mistake. It's definitely broken Quicken behavior.

With all that said, a super validate seems to have fixed this issue, but it broke 3 more transactions by removing the category/transfer. The error log let me know which ones, but also said it removed a category, without specifying which one.

A huge bundle of joy Quicken has been lately!

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Chris - First, I suspect the reason why it's at the top of the register is that the register is set to filter the transactions so the newest date is at the top.  Click on the "Date" column header and that transaction should then show up at the bottom of the register.
    Regarding the transaction itself:  Are any of the fields in that transaction (date, payee, category, etc.) editable?  If so, that is not a transaction.  It is just the placeholder for the next manual transaction to be entered.  The Quicken default is to show the current date there.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

• Chris29
    Chris29 Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    > @Boatnmaniac said:
    > @Chris - First, I suspect the reason why it's at the top of the register is that the register is set to filter the transactions so the newest date is at the top.  Click on the "Date" column header and that transaction should then show up at the bottom of the register.
    > Regarding the transaction itself:  Are any of the fields in that transaction (date, payee, category, etc.) editable?  If so, that is not a transaction.  It is just the placeholder for the next manual transaction to be entered.  The Quicken default is to show the current date there.

i appreciate the help, but no, my register is not set to put newest at top, it puts newest at bottom.

Yes, the fields are "editable", but the transaction is not saveable. I can't save the transaction after any changes to the fields.

I've used Quicken for 2 decades, so this isn't a 'newbie' mistake. It's definitely broken Quicken behavior.

With all that said, a super validate seems to have fixed this issue, but it broke 3 more transactions by removing the category/transfer. The error log let me know which ones, but also said it removed a category, without specifying which one.

A huge bundle of joy Quicken has been lately!
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Chris - That's odd.  I haven't seen that happen before and since I can't duplicate it in my test file I'm afraid the only other suggestion I have is to restore a recent backup file and see if it's showing there.  Or maybe try a Validate and Repair.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

This discussion has been closed.