How do I get a report that lists category detail for tax related items?

I have used quicken send back in 1994. After several upgrades to various verions I have just purchased Quicken 2020 for MAC. An important report for my tax was a report involving Category Details where I could select Tax Related or not. I cannot find a report that even gives DETAILS for categories much less being able to select only Tax- related categories. What am I missing? Thank you.

Best Answers

• roisenp1950
    roisenp1950 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Rick and Mike,
    This solves the tax related categories issues. I still do not get the report to go to category details (listing and totalling the details) so I can get (Example: Doctor for Anna or Medical Premium Totals for Paul etc.

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Have you tried the Tax Schedule report?

If that doesn't do it for you, there's another more involved method I can suggest:
    1. Start with menu Reports > Create Transaction Report. 
    2. On the first screen, choose Category then click Continue To Customize.
    3. In the customization, choose the Date Range. 
    4. Click the Categories tab
    5. Click Include Only Transactions with Selected Categories
    6. Click Clear All
    7. Go through the category list and checkmark all categories that are tax related as indicated by the green checkmark in the Tax column. 
    8. You now have a transaction detail report by category for only tax related categories.
    It would be great if you could sort the category customization list by the Tax column. You can't. Even better would be a button you could press that would auto select only the Tax related categories. There isn't.

But if you save this report, you should only have to modify it if you add or remove tax related categories to/from your file. Presumably this does not happen very often.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Tax Schedule Report is a food start.
    Note that this report has two display options;
    Summarize By Category, or
    Summarize By Tax Schedule/Form
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited April 2020
    "food start" = "good start"? (If not, now I'm hungry! :-)
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    RickO said:
    "food start" = "good start"? (If not, now I'm hungry! :-)

:D  Me too.
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• roisenp1950
    roisenp1950 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Rick and Mike,
    This solves the tax related categories issues. I still do not get the report to go to category details (listing and totalling the details) so I can get (Example: Doctor for Anna or Medical Premium Totals for Paul etc.
  • roisenp1950
    roisenp1950 Member ✭✭
    A related questio to Categories: When I create my categories and sub-categories I sometimes miss stuff or rewrite them. I then end up with duplicated categories or subcategories as I change my mind as to how best to order them for printing our reports. I have extensive categories so I thought I would print the categories out to make it easier to edit them appropriately.

I do not find any way to PRINT the categories out UNLESS I do a report. The report ONLY includes categories/subcategories that have entries. When I go to WINDOW -->CATEGORIES it brings up I find exatly what I am a looking for HOWEVER I am NOT able to print or copy and past the information so I can print it out. Any ideas?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    You are correct; there is currently no way to print a list of all your categories in Quicken Mac. About the best you can do is to open the Categories window, and position it to extend from the top to the bottom of your computer screen; take a screen shot of the window; scroll down to the next screenful of categories, and repeat until you've captured them all. Then print the several screenshots.

After that painful news, the good news is that if you find you have accounts that are functionally duplicates, you can merge them easily. Select one account, scroll to the other account and Command-click on it to select it as well, and then click the Merge Categories button at the bottom of the Categories window. (You can merge more than two at a time just by selecting more accounts with additional Command-clicking.) It will let you pick which of the two (or more) categories you want to be the one which remains.

The one thing to be aware of with merging categories is that you can merge sub-categories of a category, and you can merge main categories, but you cannot merge a sub-category with a main category, or two sub-categories of different main categories. To accomplish one of those merges, you should first elevate the sub-category(ies) to be main category(ies), by dragging them on the screen up or down and to the left so they move to become a main category; then you can merge them (and then, if you wish, make the merged category a sub-category by dragging it under the main category you want it to belong to).

While this is all pretty straightforward, there's certainly potential to make a mistake and make things worse, so I'd suggest making sure you have one or more current backups of your file before you being any extensive category clean-up. That way if you mess up (merging categories you didn't mean to), you can go back to a back-up and try again.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • roisenp1950
    roisenp1950 Member ✭✭
    Jacob, Thanks os much for the quick response. Very interesting that I had already made 5 Screen Shots to get a virtual printout. I came to realize that there were some dangers with my ideas about changing stuff so I had not yet started on revamping my Cat/sub/Sub list. I would sure be nice if you could select a category or sub-cateroy and amend it with our have to redo everything. Well anyway. Completely rebuilding since for some reason I when I imported the data from my very old 2007 Mac software something when horribliy wrong and I lost everything back to March of 2017 so starting everything over beginning Jan 1, 2020. Still painful but making progress. God Bless and Stay Safe.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    It would sure be nice if you could select a category or sub-cateroy and amend it with our have to redo everything. Well anyway.
    I don't understand your comment. You can certainly rename any category just by editing it in the Categories window. And in my post above, I explained how you can change hierarchies and merge categories. So what are you wishing you could do?
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • roisenp1950
    roisenp1950 Member ✭✭
    My bad. I did not think my answer through very well. I will work through this with your instructions. Thanks so much for you help. God Bless.
This discussion has been closed.