Is there any way to mass change the Cash Source on investment transactions?

I have been using Quicken since the 1990's. Recently I discovered that my Prudential 401K investment account had multiple placeholder entries. These are relatively new, and were not detected because I have not been able to connect to Prudential since May of 2019. All placeholders are related to cash source, and the problem started with data correctly entered and balanced in 2010. Apparently the cash source that had been entered was "Other Non-Vesting Contribution". To resolve the place holder, that cash source needs to be changed to "Employer Match". Hundreds of transactions need to be changed and I cannot find any report that included the data field "Cash Source", and I cannot find any way to change multiple transactions at the same time. Any ideas?

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Hi @ mecaulfield,

You've asked a good question but unfortunately there is no report available in Quicken that includes "cash source" data.  I don't know of a way to change that data except on a transaction by transaction basis.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• mecaulfield
    mecaulfield Member ✭✭
    Unfortunately you confirmed what I already believed to be true.

I wonder why Quicken was changed in a way that compromised 10 years of transaction history, and provided no way to make the changes that are now required to remove placeholders.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could probably delete all the placeholders but the last one then adjust the cash source balances by Removing and Adding shares with the correct cost basis and cash source to make the balances correct.

Or you could just leave the last placeholder in place, because it does not affect your share balance, just the cash source.

To prevent surprise Placeholders in the future, make sure the placeholders are not hidden and that the account is selected in Edit > preferences > Downloaded Transactions > Compare Account Portfolio after download.

Be sure to back up your data first in case something goes wrong ...
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Red Raider
    Red Raider Member ✭✭
    > @mecaulfield said:
    > Unfortunately you confirmed what I already believed to be true.
    >
    > I wonder why Quicken was changed in a way that compromised 10 years of transaction history, and provided no way to make the changes that are now required to remove placeholders.
This discussion has been closed.