Quicken 2012 Premier File Size

Hi,

This is my configuration

Quicken Version : Quicken 2012 Premier
OS : Windows 10 64 bit OS (with latest patches and updates)
Hardware : Intel Core i7 chip from around 2016 with SSD and 16 GB RAM memory with SSD
Quicken data file is on internal SSD drive.

Current QDF file size : 43 MB
Number of accounts : 90
Maximum Transactions in any one account : 3000
Accounts with more than 1000 transactions : Around 20

I do NOT use any online features or download any transactions. All transactions are entered manually. I do have lot of saved reports, tags assigned to transactions and so on.

I have the following queries.

1) What is the maximum file size that Quicken 2012 Premier Supports ?
2) When I start Quicken, it works properly but at times it does show Not Responding or slow to respond even though the hardware is quite powerful with sufficient RAM. Why does this slow response happen. It happens even when I save transactions some times.
3) Are there any other precautions I need to take with above version.

Thanking in advance,

eqpu
Quicken 2012 Premier on Windows 10 (Quicken User since Quicken 1998)

Best Answer

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    There is no limit on the Quicken data file size.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried checking your Quicken program for compatibility with Win 10? If not, you might want to try running the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter. It can't hurt and it might just end up resulting in getting rid of those Not Responding messages and/or slow response issues. Here's a step-by-step process for doing this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15078/windows-10-make-older-apps-or-programs-compatible.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    The Not Responding status is less dire than it appears.
    Every Windows process runs off an event loop. The program sits idle until it receives notification of an event, e.g., a key press, mouse click, or mouse movement. Upon receiving an event, a process must do one of two things: (a) handle the event quickly if it can, and return control to the event loop, or (b) spawn a thread to respond to the event if that will take a while, so the main process can return to the event loop.
    When a Windows process does neither of these, it is in effect usurping the event loop. When that happens, Windows notices and thinks the process is not responding. Most of the time we see this in Quicken, it's just because Quicken is taking too long to return control to the event loop, not because Quicken has hung.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• eqpu
    eqpu Member ✭✭✭
    :) I am much more comfortable with the following response part "Most of the time we see this in Quicken, it's just because Quicken is taking too long to return control to the event loop, not because Quicken has hung.". It now appears that Quicken works this way for all versions.

:) Also I did run the troubleshooter for compatibility and found no problems there.

Just waiting for the file size and other precautions (if any) response.

What I read about the file size for Quicken latest version is available disk space (which is in tens of GBs in my case) and my file is just 43 MB as of now. But I want to be sure for Quicken 2012 Premier if anything different is applicable.
    Quicken 2012 Premier on Windows 10 (Quicken User since Quicken 1998)
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    There is no limit on the Quicken data file size.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

F.y.i.

Old Quicken Patch downloads 2000+

When running an old, unsupported Quicken for Windows version you may no longer be able to download bug fixes (patch files) directly from Quicken.
    However, until further notice they are still available here:
    US version: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html
    Canadian version: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatchescanadian.html
    If clicking on Help / About Quicken does not show the highest Release number available for your version (year), as shown on this webpage, download and install the appropriate file(s) from the link above.

This discussion has been closed.