QFW to QFM - Have QFM execute Transfer from bank checking to bank savings

It's one of my original QFW to QFM questions from January. I know I made it work once or twice then thanks to John_in_NC , but it's not working now.

So I'll ask again: With QFW 2017, there is a "Transfer money" function - click the Actions icon, move down to “Transfer Money”, click, and enter the Amount, Account From, Account To. Hit the One Step Update button, and viola: QFW talks to the bank and makes the transfer between accounts. Little Red Flag shows on both checking Account and savings Account, accept both downloads, DONE.

How do I do this with QFM 2020?

Best Answers

Answers

• HisRocker
    HisRocker Member ✭✭
    I remember many years ago (with Windows Quicken) I used to enter a transfer in Quicken, then do an Online Update of the account, and it would do the transfer for me at the bank.

Does quicken still support such a feature -- somewhere along the line, I quit doing this, but remembered recently and would find it useful.
  • SageOne
    SageOne Member ✭✭
    I started the process of moving in January...with the expectation of being totally self-sufficient on QFM2020 on April 31. And I am, but not without some concern. I've been running QFM2020 and QFW2017 in parallel all these weeks, downloading to QFW first ("normal state") then doing the same in QFM ("future normal? state"), with QFW the baseline I could count on. Lots of work to understand how to schedule transactions, how to manage downloads, etc., but I think I've figured out enough to go forward with QFM2020.

Yet it's still a weird "rip the bandaid right off" feeling w/o that QFW2017 download to compare. Seems like fewer things are downloading each day. And not seeing that persistent "New Downloaded Transactions" Red Flag isn't helping my unease. :smile:

I still don't understand some things about QFM2020, things that I routinely did or used with QFW2017.

Here's one of those:

It's one of my original QFW to QFM questions from January. I know I made it work once or twice then thanks to John_in_NC , but it's not working now.

So I'll ask again: With QFW 2017, there is a "Transfer money" function - click the Actions icon, move down to “Transfer Money”, click, and enter the Amount, Account From, Account To. Hit the One Step Update button, and viola: QFW talks to the bank and makes the transfer between accounts. Little Red Flag shows on both checking Account and savings Account, accept both downloads, DONE.

How do I do this with QFM 2020?
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @SageOne

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your question, although I apologize that you haven't received a response.

Do you recall what you used previously to initiate the transfer? Was this with either Direct Connect through the bank or Quicken Bill Pay?

If using Direct Connect, I would navigate to settings in the bottom right-hand corner and ensure that the account is set up for Direct Connect and Intra Funds transfer.

If you were using Quicken Bill Pay, a new Quicken Bill Pay account is required to continue using this method in the subscription version. However, Quicken Bill Pay is being discontinued and there will not be an option to create a new account.

Please let me know!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • SageOne
    SageOne Member ✭✭
    Thanks Quicken_Tyra. Definitely Direct Connect bank accounts with QFW2017 (and going back to early 2000s). Just checked QFM 2020 and Settings are Direct Connect with Intra Funds Transfer set to ON (green light).

So it looks like I'm set to do make the transfers, but haven't yet seen the light of how to do a simple "checking to savings" or "savings to checking" account transfer.

Is there a dialogue box with QFM2020 that makes this process super-simple?
  • SageOne
    SageOne Member ✭✭
    Success! Thank you @Quicken_Tyka!! My sticking point had been putting “Transfer” in the “Check#” field! I’d instead put it in the “Action” field (‘cause that seemed logical to me) and never thought to put it in the “Check#” field!! And indeed the “Edit Details” click brought up a good dialogue UI for the Transfer To Account and Amount to Transfer, along with the option either to do the transfer immediately (“now”) or to make the transfer in the next Download action.

Now, to be clear...re: your statement "The 2017 version also offered these options"...QFM is new to me, period. I just (successfully?) migrated from QFW2017 running under VMWare Fusion on my Mac to QFM2020. QFW made it pretty much idiot-proof to Transfer $ between banking accounts, via a traditional dialogue box. The same QFM process never was intuitive for me, but now that you helped me get my head right with this Transfer process in QFM, I have just a few more "how to do it in QFM" questions to come...but the bottom line is: I appear to be fully migrated from Quicken for Windows to Quicken for Mac...and have lived to tell the tales. :smile:

Now to figure out how to uninstall VMWare Fusion from my Mac... :smile:
This discussion has been closed.