Recalculating Investments Popup at Quicken Startup

Since the last Quicken Update...I have R26.15, whenever I open a Q Data file a small Popup Windows displays with a Green bar that moves from left to right and reads "Recalculation Investment Accounts values"

That new since the latest Update....what is it, why is it taking Place?  

Comments

• Phil
    Phil Member ✭✭
    Go to Edit>Preferences and highlight the "Startup" tab if it isn't already and see if you have "Download transactions when Quicken starts" checked
    Windows Quicken user since Zip drives were a thing
    Quicken Deluxe on Windows and Mac
  • denmarfl
    denmarfl Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thank You; I do not have that checked.....
  • Phil
    Phil Member ✭✭
    I'm trying to get my Quicken to recreate your issue but I can't seem to get it to do it. We have the same version of Quicken. On that same tab in preferences, what does yours show for startup location mine is set to Home
  • denmarfl
    denmarfl Member ✭✭✭✭
    Mine is set to my Main Checking Acct since that is the place I do most of my Quicken entries and has been set that way forever.....

By the way, I did go back and installed a backup copy from a date prior to seeing this Popup; I see the same Popup...which tells me it is the software, not the data file causing this popup......
  • Phil
    Phil Member ✭✭
    Just to make sure we have the same everything here is a screenshot of my "About Quicken" page cropped to not show my personal stuff and it is on a Windows 10 machine. Do we have the same of everything?
  • denmarfl
    denmarfl Member ✭✭✭✭
    Exactly

• Phil
    Phil Member ✭✭
    Strange. I'll keep playing around with my Windows Quicken file and see if I can get mine to start doing that but I'm running out of ideas.
  • denmarfl
    denmarfl Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks;  I chatted with Support, they were of no help...said they thought it had to do with Sync to Cloud.  I have never used the Cloud and Preferences shows Sync OFF.  There are Cloud Data File....and this has been an ongoing gripe I have had with Quicken.  The Files show 2018 and 2019 created....I have always checked NOT to Use Mobile and Cloud Services...but I believe when you create a new File....it creates initially a Cloud Backup...it just does not Update thereafter...and Q Support did not dispute this.  

I have an Appt with hopefully a Higher tech Q Support agent on 4/30/20...I have found the 1st call Tech normally has no higher level of Knowledge than the Chat agents...and so if the Call Tech is unable to resolve, another call back is scheduled for the next level agent.

The one thing I did do...which is different from the past, it was taking a very long time for the Vault window to open; Q chat suggested installing the Current Patch; I did so.  It resolved the slow opening Vault sign-in window...but either the Patch, or, the Update was the start of this opening Popup Window...recalculating Investment acct Balances.......
  • denmarfl
    denmarfl Member ✭✭✭✭
    Had my phone session with Quicken support.  Would seem one or maybe more of my investment is causing the Recalculating popup at startup.  Created new File with Just investments from Vanguard; file opens I do not get the Popup.  Guess if I had nothing better to do I could keep adding 1 investment at a time...but with the number of stocks I have...I think I would get bored of the process.  Ever since Vanguard converted accts from Mutual to Broker accts....my Holding have been all missed up.  What we discovered in the call is, on the date the New broker Acct was created via Connection to Vanguard, the individual Mutual funds did not show a Share price and, the value of the fund on that date also was added into the GAIN\LOSS column.  Guess here I could go in and manually delete the entry for the download from Registry and re-enter this time entering Share value...we tried one and it looked to correct the Holdings info...again, a job for a time when I am bored.  The information given it is an IRA is not important since there is no writing off losses......

The agent did send a message to Quicken developers regarding the Popup...but fairly certain I will never hear anything Back.  The Quicken agent I worked with was really good.....
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    FWIW, I have seen the pop-up for years.  
  • denmarfl
    denmarfl Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well maybe, but very doubtful; the findings the agent sent to the develpers regarding this may some day...year...push out an article or Fix.....  Thanks for letting me know I am not alone....with this issue.  Stay safe\stay well.....
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes this has been around for years.  I think it is relatively new that it shows up when starting.  I seem to member it more when I would look at my portfolio for the first time or such.

I believe that it might be "timed" as in if a person has very few investments to "recalculate" it won't put up the dialog, but if it takes a while to do it, it puts up the dialog.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • QuickeDan
    QuickeDan Member ✭✭
    denmarfl: I recently experienced the same thing as you.
    I have a very old Quicken file. It works fine except that at some point, the One Step Update popup stopped "remembering" the checkmarks for all my banks (another issue I've seen mentioned). In other words, the checkboxes weren't acting "sticky" like they were supposed to.
    I was going to do a file copy and validate to try to fix it.
    I copied my old file, and when I launched the new file, I noticed that the One Step Update checkboxes were working properly now (staying checked). Note: I never validated; this was just after a file copy.
    However, I noticed in the new file that I was getting a "Recalculating Investment Account Values" when it launched. I thought it may have just been for the first launch, but no, it happens with every new launch.
    My old file DID NOT have this popup when it launched. I went back and confirmed this.
    I was using the same (most recent) version of Quicken both times, so I think it's a file issue.
    I suspect in copying the old file, some investment data changed (probably due to old formatting or corruption issues), and that's why the new popup appears.
  • MangoMan
    MangoMan Member ✭✭✭
    I use Quicken 2020 on a Windows 10 Pro machine. I have 3 moniotrs running. Whenever I switch the focus back to the monitor with Quicken the program hangs for a few seconds and then does the investment recalculation. It is really annoying and slows me down. Wish there was a way to turn it off and just use Function key to have it run (like Excel - F9)
This discussion has been closed.