One-Step Update freezes with "You may not transfer money into a read-only account" message

I upgraded from Q-2017 to a 2-yr subscription (Q2020 vR25.21 Build 27.1.25.21) just yesterday and everything seemed to go smoothly. But when I ran a scheduled one-step update this morning, the process froze (repeatedly) when it got to the cloud update and showed the pop-up quoted in the title. First of all, I've been a Q user since forever and have never heard of a "read-only account" and certainly don't know what that might be. Also, the pop-up cannot be dismissed (doesn't respond to the OK or X commands) so the only way to quit Quicken is to to the CTRL-ALT-DELETE routine.

I'm totally flummoxed. Would greatly appreciate any help from the community that might resolve this.

Thanks.

Best Answers

• KMJU
    KMJU Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Just a loopback to close this out and thank you once again for your help. One-step update has been functioning normally since I unchecked a couple of rarely used accounts from the update dialog and reset several other accounts. Also ran the mondo patch on both machines.

I've been through more Quicken upgrade cycles than I want to count so let's just say this one wasn't the smoothest.
  • KMJU
    KMJU Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thanks for your response but this issue was cleared after I was able to get through to tech support. To make a long story short, the agent was able to trace the problem to a probable data conversion error that occurred during the upgrade from QW Premier 2017 to QW Premier subscription. The only solution was to overwrite the existing data file with an earlier dated backup.

BTW, there were no “old” or hidden accounts. Just a flawed upgrade.

KMJU

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    By any chance did you downgrade from Deluxe to Starter?
    Any account type that Quicken Starter doesn't support will still be there, but it will be read-only.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • KMJU
    KMJU Member ✭✭
    Thanks for taking the time to try and help with this. Guess I should have mentioned that the upgrade was from and to Premier. BTW, I've checked my Account List and can't find anything marked "read-only." (Can't even find a read-only option.)

Still flummoxed.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hmm.  The only other thing that is "sort of" read-only is a closed account, but in reality you can't set it up for downloading, and you can still enter transactions manually, so it isn't really read-only.
    Signature:
  • KMJU
    KMJU Member ✭✭
    Thanks again. I do have one closed account. It is an old car loan account. The loan balance was paid off and the account closed more than a year ago.

What's mind boggling here is that this was never an issue with QP-2017. Never a hint of anything like this until I upgraded to subscription QP.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well a few things things you might try.
    1. Install the latest Mondo patch, it might fix a corrupted program file: https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product
    2. Restore from a backup and try again (make a backup of the current file so that you can get back here if it doesn't fix it).
    3. Validate and repair the file: File -> File Operations -> Validate and Repair -> Validate File -> OK

Signature:
  • KMJU
    KMJU Member ✭✭
    Great! These suggestions make a lot of sense. Will get on these later today or tomorrow and let you know how things went.

Thanks so much.
  • KMJU
    KMJU Member ✭✭
    Success (I think...maybe)

I haven't run the mondo patch but I did go into my one-step update settings and uncheck a few rarely used accounts that I really don't need to update anyway. Also, I saw that an update was available so I downloaded and installed it, which changed me from v26.15 (which shows as a Canadian release) to v25.21 (which shows as a US release). I'm located in the US so I have no clue why v26.15 was downloaded and installed when I purchased the subscription.

So should I run the v 25.21 mondo patch anyway?

Interesting sidenote: I also installed v26.15 on a second computer and was able to do one-step updates without any difficulties prior to excluding the accounts mentioned above.

Hoping this fixes whatever needed fixing on the first computer. Won't know for sure until my scheduled updates kick in starting tomorrow.

Still scratching my head over why QP-2017 was problem-free but the expensive upgrade caused issues.

Again, thanks for your interest and suggestions. All the best.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    The main reason installing the Mondo patch is recommended at times is for "whatever reason" a Quicken file get corrupted (maybe even during the automatic install), and installing the Mondo patch will overwrite all the files hopefully giving you all uncorrupted files.

It doesn't hurt to install the Mondo patch, but if there isn't any problems, there isn't a big reason to apply it either.  But you should probably try to keep both machines at the same patch level not to mention that the patches have fixes and features you might need.
    Signature:
  • KMJU
    KMJU Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Just a loopback to close this out and thank you once again for your help. One-step update has been functioning normally since I unchecked a couple of rarely used accounts from the update dialog and reset several other accounts. Also ran the mondo patch on both machines.

I've been through more Quicken upgrade cycles than I want to count so let's just say this one wasn't the smoothest.
  • KMJU
    KMJU Member ✭✭
    Well, the problem has returned. Exact same thing as before. Scheduled update freezes and gives me a pop-up that says "You man not transfer money into a read-only account." The pop-up does not respond to either the OK or X commands so the only way out is to do the CTRL-ALT-DELETE routine through task manager.

Beyond discouraging. Any comments/ionsights/solutions?
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @KMJU

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the late response. I'm wondering if there's potentially an old account that still has an active connection that might be causing this. We could double check the accounts you might have hidden to see if there's any.  If you use CTRL+A it'll bring up the account list and in the bottom left you'll want to hit the checkmark that says show hidden accounts. From here you can follow the article here on how to deactivate accounts if you find some that do have an active connection that we don't need.active anymore.

Could you try this out and let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• KMJU
    KMJU Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thanks for your response but this issue was cleared after I was able to get through to tech support. To make a long story short, the agent was able to trace the problem to a probable data conversion error that occurred during the upgrade from QW Premier 2017 to QW Premier subscription. The only solution was to overwrite the existing data file with an earlier dated backup.

BTW, there were no “old” or hidden accounts. Just a flawed upgrade.

KMJU
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    @KMJU

Thanks for the update! I'm glad that the agent was able to find the issue and get it all sorted out for you. If you do have any other issues please let us know!

Quicken Francisco
This discussion has been closed.