Why doesn't add paycheck go under personal income?

Hi all, why when you add a planned paycheck does quicken automatically puts it under a new category called Paycheck instead of a sub category under Personal Income or at least give you the option to do so? Now when you put your planned paycheck in, it doesn't show up under personal income category in your budget. You can select to use Paycheck category as your salary afterwards but personal income stays there too unused and the other odd thing is all of the split categories that you added when you setup your planned paycheck list under the personal income category without the net salary and the net only shows under the new paycheck category. Has anyone else had this issue and what did you do?

Comments

• jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I have never used Paycheck as an actual category. If you set up a paycheck reminder it will be like a split transaction and have several categories. While this may appear as a --Paycheck-- in the register, but hovering over or clicking on the splits icon will show all the actual categories (including various types of income, withholding taxes, medical premiums, etc).

Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2023

• jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I should have also said there is a Paycheck setup wizard to help you create the paycheck reminder. It's under Planning, Tax Center, Add Paycheck (I know, not really obvious). It will help you select the proper categories to include.

Quicken user since 1995

• riggz609
    riggz609 Member ✭✭
    Hi, @jrfaris I used the wizard and understand the splitting of categories that I input while setting up a planned Paycheck but my Question is regarding how Quicken Categories the Paycheck separately and not under Personal Income where it belongs, we have no control over it being made into a seperate main Category apart from personal Income, as described in my original Question/post which i will coopy below. Thanks you!

"why when you add a planned paycheck does quicken automatically puts it under a new category called Paycheck instead of a sub category under Personal Income or at least give you the option to do so? Now when you put your planned paycheck in, it doesn't show up under personal income category in your budget. You can select to use Paycheck category as your salary afterwards but personal income stays there too unused and the other odd thing is all of the split categories that you added when you setup your planned paycheck list under the personal income category without the net salary and the net only shows under the new paycheck category."
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    > @riggz609 said:
    > "why when you add a planned paycheck does quicken automatically puts it under a new category called Paycheck instead of a sub category under Personal Income or at least give you the option to do so?

I guess you need to explain where you are seeing a Paycheck category. I don't believe there is one by default. Seeing --Paycheck-- in the register category field is similar to seeing --Split--. I just means there is more than one category in the transaction. I believe Salary is the default income category used by the Paycheck wizard but you can edit it and choose any category that fits the income source. Of course it is possible to create a separate/new category named Paycheck but as you point out, that's not very useful.

Quicken user since 1995

• jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    OK, I'm a little slow. Are you talking about a Budget? If so, then the default income category of Salary should be appearing within the Personal Income group. If you do have a separate Paycheck category, it may not have been set up as an income category. Check your category list to verify/edit if necessary.

Quicken user since 1995

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Paycheck doesn't belong under Personal Income because it is an aggregate of income and expense categories.  The net paycheck amount is properly treated as income.

The issue I have with Paycheck is it doesn't work properly with Include reminders: check Budget Actions > View options > Include reminders

• riggz609
    riggz609 Member ✭✭
    Hi, after you create a planned paycheck in Tax Center, go to Budgets under Planning and click on manage categories, the select categories to budget you will see the master category heading in the left column, Personal Income, etc. but you will notice after you create that planned paycheck Quicken creates a new master category Heading called Paychecks in that left column. I do not understand why that isn't made a subcategory of Personal income or giving you the choice of where to place it. your net salary will no longer show in Budget under Personal Income net salary. if you have the time try it, i can't find a way around it. Thanks
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Paycheck doesn't belong under Personal Income because it is an aggregate of income and expense categories.  The net paycheck amount is properly treated as income.

The issue I have with Paycheck is it doesn't work properly with Include reminders: check Budget Actions > View options > Include reminders
  • riggz609
    riggz609 Member ✭✭
    Hi, but the net paycheck amount doesn't show under personal income , Net Salary category in the Budget, at least not with mine. Shouldn't show there, if not where? Thanks
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure there are different ways to do this but I only include the actual categories in the budget. That way the budget shows your total salary as income as well as all of the amounts that are taken out of your paycheck (such as Federal Tax withheld) as expenses. Your Net Salary ($ amount of your paycheck) never appears as a specific item. So you don't actually see a paycheck in the budget, just the categories that reflect the income and expenses that that make up the paycheck.

Quicken user since 1995

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    riggz609 said:
    Hi, but the net paycheck amount doesn't show under personal income , Net Salary category in the Budget, at least not with mine. Shouldn't show there, if not where? Thanks
    The Net Salary category does appear under Personal Income.

The net paycheck amount is an aggregate of income and expense categories.

• oldngrmpy1
    oldngrmpy1 Member ✭✭✭✭
    jr, I'm with you. I've asked the same question in a different way, and got an answer about what it does do, but I wanted an explanation about what it doesn 't do. I quit using Paycheck, and was told buy a superuser to use Split instead. My complaint was worded in the way that when using a simple report I couldn't 't even look up in a report what my and my wife's income (net paycheck amount) for the month even was. I've reminded myself that the Superusers jobs they get paid for are to come up with work arounds for  problems, not understand what the problem really is. When I asked the same questions as you, I got back a snip about what that superuser did...it didn't help me with my questions all. Yep, still couldn't run a report with Income amount for my payroll check if I use Paycheck. I tied in everyway way I could to explain the same thing you did, and they couldn't understand what I was saying or the problem I was talking about. I've quit trying to ask "why does it do this" as you'll never get an answer, instead you'll hear " do this....   That is called a work around, and I'm convinced that when they are hired for the compensation they receive, they give work arounds, not answer to questions. Funny thing as when my kids were young and they asked me a question I always tried to explain why, not just answer back with a "why",  and one's a Major in the USAF at 35 yrs old, other is working for a world renowned Landscape architect. Superusers can only work with what Quicken gives them to work with. I'm convinced that one day there will be a sign on the login screen that will say "Sorry closed for Renovations"  H.I.G Capital hasn't a clue what's happening in Quicken!
This discussion has been closed.